Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is listing "100 fire tokens"

My copy of the game is having 65 fire tokens in it....what`s correct?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Braz wrote:
The rule is listing "100 fire tokens"

My copy of the game is having 65 fire tokens in it....what`s correct?!

As someone who preordered it, and has not yet seen his copy, you may understand that:

a) I am unable to answer
b) I couldn't give a ****

But I would complain to the publisher if I were you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Wilhelm
France
Metz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The prototype included 100 cones indeed.
My box also includes 65 cones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Schneider
Germany
Kamen / Unna
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's not just mine ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a sign posted at the booth in Essen saying that it is a misprint in the rules and you are supposed to only get 65 (I think... some number less than 100)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Schwanhäußer
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
saw it too. was 65.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm there are officially supposed to be 65 fire tokens in the game, and the rulebook is wrong. Markus has tried to make it clear on the stand that the rulebook has a misprint, and has said that the rulebook will be corrected after Essen.

Apparently 100 was a starting point put in the rules before they had worked out exactly how many they needed, and somehow the rulebook was not updated when they decided on 65.

Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
There was a sign posted at the booth in Essen saying that it is a misprint in the rules and you are supposed to only get 65 (I think... some number less than 100)

Ah, so they followed my suggestion to put up the sign after I went back on Friday to ask about this. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Hutton wrote:
I can confirm there are officially supposed to be 65 fire tokens in the game, and the rulebook is wrong. Markus has tried to make it clear on the stand that the rulebook has a misprint, and has said that the rulebook will be corrected after Essen.

Apparently 100 was a starting point put in the rules before they had worked out exactly how many they needed, and somehow the rulebook was not updated when they decided on 65.

Mike.

... which does not make it a misprint ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Resch
Austria
St. Ulrich am Waasen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I made the rulebook based on the rules of Richard Denning who always had assumed 100 cones (to be on the very safe side) ever since he created his prototype. On the production side the number was reduced to 65 but the change was overlooked in the rulebook.
After Essen there will be an update to the rulebooks which will also include this correction - at least the web versions will then be correct.

Cheers,
Andreas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Denning
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Mids
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of minor bloops in the rules that need correcting. NIce thing about printing rules in house is they can be immediately updated.

Yes 65 is supplied and proved adequqte at Essen in over 100 games apart from twice. That MIGHT suggest we need 70 or 75 but not 100 and we will reflect on this. If you run out just add 1 cones each back to the stock. That willbe added to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Copy finally arrived down under - minor crease in box lid.

Like Richard mine is from Prime Games, with the Games Cellar address. Stamped from Chris Welbourne on the back.

Interestingly, the rulebook states there are 65 red fire cones - seems I got an updated one.

Initially thought that I had been diddled with the tokens - until I found the stickers underneath the board. blush

Although, I do have 7 trained band cones - sorry if you have 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
Copy finally arrived down under - minor crease in box lid.

Like Richard mine is from Prime Games, with the Games Cellar address. Stamped from Chris Welbourne on the back.

Interestingly, the rulebook states there are 65 red fire cones - seems I got an updated one.

Initially thought that I had been diddled with the tokens - until I found the stickers underneath the board. blush

Although, I do have 7 trained band cones - sorry if you have 5.

Interesting - documentary proof you were diddled, time wise, on the pre order. Presumably it is 'too much like hard work' to sort out the pictures so the rules and cards match the colours of the houses.

My labels were pretty badly offcut - at a stage that I would have rejected if I was printing them out for a PnP game.

But your 7th trained band wasn't mine. After a total of a whole single game, I wonder if 6 of those is the 'right' number. Presumably various numbers were tried in playtesting, but it seems likely to be easy to tie them down on capped fires. And with only 4 actions it is hard to get your pawn into a space, put the fire out to free a trained band, and then move it where you want/need it. So I fear permanent paralysis : no one will want to free a trained band up to then find someone else gets to deploy it. Perhaps players with more games under their belt could comment on whether the 1 VP for putting the fire out is enough incentive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

But your 7th trained band wasn't mine. After a total of a whole single game, I wonder if 6 of those is the 'right' number. Presumably various numbers were tried in playtesting, but it seems likely to be easy to tie them down on capped fires. And with only 4 actions it is hard to get your pawn into a space, put the fire out to free a trained band, and then move it where you want/need it. So I fear permanent paralysis : no one will want to free a trained band up to then find someone else gets to deploy it. Perhaps players with more games under their belt could comment on whether the 1 VP for putting the fire out is enough incentive?

I never saw the problem you describe in testing or when demoing to various groups, the original rule for the number of trained bands was that there were 2 per player, so even with only 4 players you were up to 8. We found that this was too many as the fire was much too easily contained, even with 6 I sometimes wonder if that is too many.

As for the 1 VP, if everyone else is refusing to put out fires then a single player opting to put out the fire for 1 VP (per cone) plus 2 for the Hero of London is going to end up getting a substantial (quite possibly decisive) advantage by the end of the game, especially as in the situation you describe there will probably be a lot more destruction (and hence point loss) due to the inaction of the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

I never saw the problem you describe in testing or when demoing to various groups, the original rule for the number of trained bands was that there were 2 per player, so even with only 4 players you were up to 8. We found that this was too many as the fire was much too easily contained, even with 6 I sometimes wonder if that is too many.

As for the 1 VP, if everyone else is refusing to put out fires then a single player opting to put out the fire for 1 VP (per cone) plus 2 for the Hero of London is going to end up getting a substantial (quite possibly decisive) advantage by the end of the game, especially as in the situation you describe there will probably be a lot more destruction (and hence point loss) due to the inaction of the other players.

Thanks. I wasn't describing a problem - just speculating. After one game I realise that I do not have enough data to work on, especially when we played it wrong blush (we forgot that trained bands must stop and fight a fire in a space that they move through). But I am encouraged by what you say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Denning
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Mids
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a perfectly valid strategy to attempt to pin black cones. But of course since you can select WHICH fire to move you can always reduce the number of fires in a space.

Fire priority will usually prevent them being replaced (save by the Fire Intensify action and that is only 3 cones and only 4 to 6 times in a game)

It might take a turn or two but you can reduce a fire to manageable proportions. Then you can mop up some points.

I will often look for a situation where two fire cones are in a space with 1 black cone in, move the spare cone out in my fire move and THEN grab the VP by putting the fire out that some fool has provided me with. Combine that with a double fire move token and you could have say 4 fire cones, 2 black cones, move the 2 fires out and nab the 2 VP.

Players tend to think one phase at a time and not collectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get this straight in my mind:

A district has 1 contained fire (trained band on top). If the fire priority movement allows, a new fire can enter the district but must not pass through that district. The district now contains 1 contained fire and 1 fire. At this point the houses in the district burn down (as there are no more trained bands in the area). Let's assume that the district has 2 houses - an extra cone is now added to the district. The district now contains 1 contained fire and 2 fires. On a subsequent turn the normal fire in this district can move from the district and into another district (as long a fire movement priority allows). After this, on another turn, the remaining fire (not the contained fire) can also move from the district, thus leaving the contained fire in the district.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Let me get this straight in my mind:

A district has 1 contained fire (trained band on top). If the fire priority movement allows, a new fire can enter the district but must not pass through that district. The district now contains 1 contained fire and 1 fire. At this point the houses in the district burn down (as there are no more trained bands in the area). Let's assume that the district has 2 houses - an extra cone is now added to the district.

No, you add cones to make the total fires up to the number of houses, this district already has 2 fires (equal to the number of houses) so no further cones are added.

Quote:
The district now contains 1 contained fire and 2 fires. On a subsequent turn the normal fire in this district can move from the district and into another district (as long a fire movement priority allows). After this, on another turn, the remaining fire (not the contained fire) can also move from the district, thus leaving the contained fire in the district.

You have the right idea, but the district only has 1 contained fire and 1 uncontained, so only 1 fire move is required to move the uncontained fire from the district.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
No, you add cones to make the total fires up to the number of houses, this district already has 2 fires (equal to the number of houses) so no further cones are added.

Got it! Thanks.

Edit: I have played the game by simply 'ignoring' that a contained fire is in a district for the purposes of adding the extra cones. Now I see that a contained fire also counts as one of the fires in the district.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Laubender
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy which I bought at SPIEL17 has only 60 fire cones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.