Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

When Darkness Comes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are we doing this correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I have all the sets but I am just playing with the base/original set, doing the first scenario. I am using the combined rules, so we are using line of sight, etc.

First, there are no outside obstacles in the first set so I assume nothing goes on the exclamation points?

Using my skills, I unlock the door and move into the building and invite my friends in. At this point we are all on the same square. I cannot recall if a disk was in LOS (if there was we missed revealing it).

OK, next turn, (we assume we can go in any order). I roll my movement and move into the next room. I end where I am in LOS of a disk. I turn it over and it is an adversary. At this point I can roll to see if it does not notice me? I do so, but failed so it moves onto my square. I roll for initiative. (Can I ask my friend to assist me as he is 3 squares away?) I fail initiative, so the adversary attacks and causes me damage. It is my attack, I assumed I could get assistance now so my friend's figure is placed in the same square as I am. I roll my attack and get to re-roll for assistance but still fail to hit it. Next round, the adversary attacks. He hits (even with defensive assistance) but my friend takes the hit to keep the damage even. I attack, and with his assistance I am able to hit the adversary and kill it.

Did we play that right? I am not sure exactly when another player can come over to assist and if he can assist as soon as he gets there (if he was within 3 squares).

Let's say I won initiative and decided to run away. If I beat the monster's speed, getting 1P, I can move 2 squares away. Then the adversary moves (I had already done my movement so I could not move more). If he ends on my square or within LOS, he is moved onto my square and the next turn a new round of combat happens, correct?

Thanks for any help.

I am liking this game. Just trying to figure out all the rules and nuances.

Michael
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
First, I have all the sets but I am just playing with the base/original set, doing the first scenario. I am using the combined rules, so we are using line of sight, etc.

First, there are no outside obstacles in the first set so I assume nothing goes on the exclamation points?


Correct. The exclamation points are only scenario specific. If they are not referenced in the scenario, they are not used.

Quote:

Using my skills, I unlock the door and move into the building and invite my friends in. At this point we are all on the same square. I cannot recall if a disk was in LOS (if there was we missed revealing it).

OK, next turn, (we assume we can go in any order).


Actually, if the other players you invited in did take their turn yet, then they would go in the order of sequence established at the beginning of the game.

Quote:

I roll my movement and move into the next room. I end where I am in LOS of a disk. I turn it over and it is an adversary. At this point I can roll to see if it does not notice me?


Yes, you may try to sneak. If you beat the adversary's Initiative TN, then it is flipped back and reshuffled with the rest of the interior disks. Your next movement continues as normal (whether this turn or the next) (Hell Unleashed P. 5)

Quote:

I do so, but failed so it moves onto my square. I roll for initiative. (Can I ask my friend to assist me as he is 3 squares away?) I fail initiative, so the adversary attacks and causes me damage. It is my attack, I assumed I could get assistance now so my friend's figure is placed in the same square as I am. I roll my attack and get to re-roll for assistance but still fail to hit it. Next round, the adversary attacks. He hits (even with defensive assistance) but my friend takes the hit to keep the damage even. I attack, and with his assistance I am able to hit the adversary and kill it.

Did we play that right? I am not sure exactly when another player can come over to assist and if he can assist as soon as he gets there (if he was within 3 squares).


Yes, you did play it correctly. Although he cannot assist you with the re-rolls for initiative, he can help you with combat rolls and can take damage for you. Keep in consideration that if you play with environmental factors, his movement to you would be slowed (in a darkened house, he can only move 1 space per combat round, as opposed to the regular three). Other players may assist in combat, even if they are further than three spaces away. They also help the round after they reach your space.(check page 9).

Quote:


Let's say I won initiative and decided to run away. If I beat the monster's speed, getting 1P, I can move 2 squares away. Then the adversary moves (I had already done my movement so I could not move more). If he ends on my square or within LOS, he is moved onto my square and the next turn a new round of combat happens, correct?


Actually, if you run away (beating the monster's speed) you take the 1P and add your Health, minus any environmental factors, for your movement total. (Ex: Inside a house with lights off: 1P + 4 health = 6 - 2 (darkened house) = four spaces. If he ends up in your LOS (In this case, a darkened room would reduce LOS to one square), if he ends up next to or on you a new round of combat will commence. However, if you move twice in one turn (move and retreating), your movement will be halved the following turn due to fatigue.

Quote:

Thanks for any help.

I am liking this game. Just trying to figure out all the rules and nuances.

Michael


Glad to be of service. Happy Halloween. zombie
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.