• [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your first game with new people yes easily. I played a 4 player new game all new people and it was 3.5 or so, and that was with someone poking slower players with a dull stick towards the later parts of the game. Once you get people that know the game probably around that time.

I've seen some suggestions that if you remove a few cards from the game when learning it can speed up the game but it will affect long term strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Four and a half hours my first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My first two games were both more like 5.5 hours. Neither had the slowest of my super slow friends at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
First (and so far only) game, with all three players new to DS, took about 6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of plays, it easily can be played in less than 4 hours, no matter the number of players (more players = less actions per player). 5+ hours is exceptionnally slow if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First play, 4 players (everyone pre-read the rules): 3 hours
Second play, 3 of the same 4 players, plus one new player who asked the others to play faster: 4 hours.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly 5 hours this evening, first play with 6 players.

Though this doesn't include 30 minutes rules explanation (sixth player joined after we had started the overview).

I think we could knock half an hour off the duration with players familiar with the rules.

Amazingly, almost no downtime during the whole game. We have two copies at the club so far, the game is likely to get regular outings!

[Edit] Second play last night, mostly new players again - just under 4 hours playing time (with a second victory for mammals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First play yesterday with 4 players. With rules explanation, it took 6 hours.

But my group generally likes to
a) go through the rules in detail so that we don't play wrong
b) indulge in a lot of (game related) table talk and interaction.

Also, we each took our time going through the dominance cards at the start of each round.

With repeated plays, I see it coming down to 4 hours with 4 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two 6 player games so far - about 15-20 minutes to go over the rules and then 3 hours for the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 plays this week, 2 6P & 1 5P. 5 hours each. This is about what games are running around here for 5 or 6 player. It's a long game, but it doesn't really feel that long. The structure of the game is such that you are engaged fully in the game even when it's not your turn to be taking an action, and there is little down time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 player about 4 hours including rules introduction to 4 of the players, came in 2nd to last

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose silva

Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Four and a half hours my first game.

I second that in a 4 player game. if we include set up and clean up we got in 7p and were not done until 12:30a.

I don't see myself playing a game this long in a regular basis. we definitely will come up with some house rules to shorten it at least by a turn ( in our game it was 270min for 6 turns or 45min/turn)

BTW our game was mammal win by a point on insects and amphibians third a point behind, with birds in a close fourth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.