Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Labeeuw
Belgium
Wevelgem
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This year was not like other years... Essen for 1 day... A whole other concept of preparation would come in hand.

After much doubt we opted for this solution... Why? My daughter was born on the 4th of july, enough reason not to stick in Essen. Neverteless I wanted to go...
My wife would stick at home with our daughter and a friend would accompany me to Essen...

So on friday 22th of october we started our trip @ 06 am... Early in the morning, cup of coffee and some things to eat. A trip 330 km or 3 hours...

09.30 am we arrived in Essen and went on to the fair... 10 am doors opened.

Tactic: checking out all the boots and prices, scanning for the best buy and looking for new things that we don't know. 4 hours later we covered all the halls 2 times and had bought everything we wanted and some new stuff...
Pockets empty and bags full, on we go to home...

Another way of Spiel but not so bad... More days are great to try new stuff, one day makes you compare and buy the stuff you really want. What is the better way? The two ways have their pro's and contra's but I find the one day buy the best way of spending my money...

Buys:

- Planet steam (45 euro - normal price 70/80 euro)
- Carson city (25 euro - normal price 35 euro)
- Maria (35 euro - normal price 39 euro)
- Era of inventions (25 euro - normal price 35 euro)
- Age of industry (40 euro - not sure about normal price)
- Twilight struggle (46 euro - normal price around 50 euro)
- Glen More (19 euro - normal price around 23 euro)
- Steam (25 euro - normal price 40 euro)
- Steam barons (25 euro - normal price around 40 euro)
- Forbidden Island (19 euro - normal price around 22 euro)
- Gosu (gosu normal price 20 euro)
- London (40 euro - normal price I guess)
- Rattus pied piper (20 euro - but designer en artist signed it)
- Dominion prosperity (25 euro - normal price 33 euro)

What I didn't find:

- Automobile (did not see)
- Shipyard (to expensive)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
one question from a indivudual that has never been at essen: are the games cheaper there compared to online stores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New games: no or not really. Last years' games: if present, yes, except for the games that turned out to be giant success (like Pandemic, Dominion etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Labeeuw
Belgium
Wevelgem
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made some adjustements in my original post with the prices I payed and the prices I looked up.

Normally Essen is cheaper for al games, even new ones. In comparisson with Belgium al the prices are cheaper...
Planet steam was my bigest discount buy...

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that the prices were better, older games like Conquest of the Empire for as little as 20 euro's, and new games like Defenders of the Realm for 60 euro's (compared to 76 euro in online shops and 100 in most FLGS's).
I guess if you buy directly from the booths of the publishers you get these discounts, if you buy from one of the german game stores you will probably pay more (and a different prize from shop to shop).
At least my experience has always been that these fairs have good prizes for games, I bought dominion for 20 euro's last year where the same product costs 35 from most online shops and sometimes even more then 50 in some of the game stores around holland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Verhaevert
Belgium
Merchtem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even then it is worth a look around
De Vulgari ranged from 30€ to 40 €
Jerusalem saw prices 30€ and 35€
Forbidden Island 19€ up to 25€

So even with only walking about a bit you quickly earn "that extra game", depending of course on which games you want.

Don't most of the retaillers do the same comparison and allign there prices when discovering they are x € too expensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Labeeuw
Belgium
Wevelgem
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In think so, they even "buy" games from eachothers boot. Probably they have an agreement on the prices...

Anyhow, Spiel is the fair to do bargain's. As for me I will be saving up again 'till next year... And having a pretty hard time not buying stuff trough the year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island 19€?!?!?

I guess finally the European crowd experiences our pain when trying to acquire some of these games! This game is like $15 USD over here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.