Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently worked for a week or so on what is basically a vanity geek list. It is here...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Anyhow, when I made it public, it didn't appear in the RECENT tab at all, presumably because it was around 10 days old.

If I had actually been working on something other than a vanity list, I would have been a little hacked off. The problem, the way that I see it, is that the system doesn't work extremely well for someone that actually takes their time to make a lengthy, highly commented, or well-researched list.

My suggestion would be to maintain a created-on date and a went-public date (which might be the same thing) and to use the went-public date for recent additions criteria.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
But then, someone could change their list to private and right back again to keep it on the recent list indefinitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the only options for an open Geek List was forced retirement or deletion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often wanted this option too. It would be nice to be able to work on a well-constructed geeklist (mark as private) as time permitted, then go public with it at the top of the recent list when complete.

Of course, this is coming from someone that makes such geeklists as, "Twister Rocks!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL... But Dane does make a good point (well two good points, since Twister does rock). It can take a lot of time to put together a good GeekList. Some GeekLists seem like they took seconds to slap together -- simply listing a bunch of games with no meat to the content.

While I've certainly done the same from time to time, I take pride in trying to come up with GLs that contribute something to the game atmosphere and culture of BGG, and often see them swallowed by timing issues or other factors. But, that's another reason why we've got Rated GLs and GeekBuddies -- I'll often sift through Buddy GLs to find things I think will prove interesting, since GLs can slide from the Recent list far too quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not made many Geeklists, but when I know it will take a while, I make the list in a text editor first. I make note of the game name, and then the game and picture IDs. Then I write my comments after each entry, and when it is all done, I can spell check it. It only takes a few minutes to cut and paste the list into the Geek and post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or optionally open up BGG in two windows and cut and paste from the private list into the one that will be public.

The two problems are that it wasn't readily apparent to me that I was going to have this happen and that it seems fairly redundant to copy and paste from an exact copy of what you want to post in the first place.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I create my geek lists in WordPad and then cut and paste into the real geek list. Takes about 10 minutes. The only time I've ever used the "private" geek list was for the All-time All-star March Madness geek lists I just did. But, even for that one, I did all the ground work in Word Pad. I only did the 'private' thing so that I could release them all to the world at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.