Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Thunderstone: Doomgate Legion» Forums » General

Subject: Doomgate Legion - What's in the box plus some details rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, since everyone is anxious to know more about the new Thunderstone expansion, here's a quick overview of what to expect:

Contents

317 Cards
1 Thunderstone card
12 Treasure cards
30 Randomizer cards
25 card Special Disease deck
60 Monster cards
84 Hero cards
104 Village cards
1 Guardian card
28 Dividers

Randomizers

HERO
Deep
Drunari
Sidhe
Slynn
Tempest
Tholis
Verdan

MONSTER
Abyssal - Thunderspawn
Cultist - Humanoid
Evil Druid - Humanoid
The Swarm
Undead - Stormwraith
Dungeon Feature

SPECIAL
Amulet Treasures
Guardian
Pick Two
Ulbrick's Treasures

VILLAGE
Blessed Hammer
Border Guard
Cyclone
Divine Staff
Doomgate Squire
Flask of Oil
Fortune Teller
Glowberries
Greed Blade
Pious Chaplain
Soul Jar
Spirit Blast
Spirit Hunter

Details

The new Thunderstone, the Stone of Avarice, is similar to the one from Wrath of the Elements; 1 VP and has a 2 Gold value in addition.

The two Treasure sets (Amulet and Ulrick's) consist of 6 cards each and are added to the Dungeon Deck. When they are revealed, the active player simply takes them (and continues to refill the Dungeon Hall until only Monsters (or Thunderstones) remain there) and places them on the table (they are not shuffled into the deck). Each Treasure card can be used once to gain a temporary effect (like adding Attack value or Gold, draw cards, or even taking an extra turn), whenever you need it; afterwards it is destroyed.

The Special Disease deck consists of 10x the regular disease from the basic set and 15x various special diseases, which can have very different effects (some even affect you in the village, like increasing the cost to buy stuff, because people don't want to be near your disease-ridden party). They are shuffled and whenever a disease is gained, one card is drawn from the deck randomly.

The Monsters add more variety, as would have to be expected. One kind is completely immune to magical attacks, another has a plethora of destroy effects. Most of them have battle effects. The completely new kind is The Swarm. It consists of two sets of 10 cards. One placeholder set, which is shuffled into the Dungeon Deck, and then the actual monsters, that are put into the Dungeon Hall, whenever one of the placeholders is drawn. The actual monsters have increasing Health, from 4 to 13. The more you add to your deck, the more valuable they become, since each of them is worth as many VP at the end of the game as the number of them you got (max. 5 VP each, though).

The Heroes. The Deep (Fighter) comes with a very good attack value, but it gets lower, when he is equipped with a weapon; he also fights better alongside Mercenaries. The Drunari (Thief) has some nice Spoils effects and later on gets better if you have valuable items on your hand. The Sidhe (Cleric) allows you to get rid of newly gained Diseases and put them into other player's decks. The Slynn (Fighter - Archer) is similar to the Amazon (gains bonuses against Rank 2 or 3), but you need to have a matching monster card on your hand; at Rank 3 he even allows you to simply swap a monster from your hand with one from the hall, that can be worth up to 1 VP more. The Tempest (Fighter) starts out pretty boring, but gains the ability to stay in your hand, if you want to, so that you always have a Hero handy. The Tholis (Thief - Wizard) can spy into the Dungeon Deck and make some rearrangements there. The Verdis (Fighter - Thief) lets other players discard cards and later on even destroys their XP; he also gains the ability to use XP to banish monsters from the hall.

The Village cards offer various new items and spells, some having increased effect if you have some XP collected, or depending on the Gold value of your hand. Some have improved effects when you have a Wizard or Cleric in your party. The Souljar, for example, is a weapon that only has its full effect in the hands of such a magic-user and then allows you to gain a bonus to your Magic Attack if you have a monster card in your hand. The biggest addition are the Mercenaries, of course. They are just like Villagers, having various Village and/or Dungeon effects. Most offer Attack bonuses that way, or allow you to draw more cards. The Pious Chaplain can destroy Disesase cards and turn them into extra extra cards much like a cleric, but this one works in the Dungeon and in the Village. The Border Guard can be destroyed instead of losing another Hero. The Doomgate Squire has a Repeat Dungeon effect that allows you to spend XP to up your Attack rating.

There is one extra Guardian (another Doomknight). The special ability of this guy is, that the Thunderstone is put beneath the Dungeon Deck, whenever it starts a turn in the hall. So, unless you get rid of the Unholy Guardian first (or reveal the Thunderstone through an effect during your turn), you won't get it.

All in all, it looks like a lot of nice new stuff to add to the game.

Bye
Thanee
15 
 Thumb up
2.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It all sounds awesome! This game system can go anywhere it wants to. The mechanics make a lot of sense and add to the theme, IMHO. Great stuff!!

OK, now the million dollar question: Did AEG make the box capable of carrying all of the cards through Doomgate, sleeved? whistle

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
OK, now the million dollar question: Did AEG make the box capable of carrying all of the cards through Doomgate, sleeved?


Same box as WotE, so yeah, sleeves should fit, as long as they are not too long.

Ultra Pro sleeves fit in there just fine.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

Does the Swarm have something to differentiate it from the Horde?

Thanee wrote:
The completely new kind is The Swarm. It consists of two sets of 10 cards. One placeholder set, which is shuffled into the Dungeon Deck, and then the actual monsters, that are put into the Dungeon Hall, whenever one of the placeholders is drawn. The actual monsters have increasing Health, from 4 to 13. The more you add to your deck, the more valuable they become, since each of them is worth as many VP at the end of the game as the number of them you got (max. 5 VP each, though)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lykouragh wrote:
Does the Swarm have something to differentiate it from the Horde?


Well, since I do not have Wrath of the Elements yet (the distributer is just unable to get it sent out somehow, but I still have hopes that it will eventually arrive), I do not know exactly what The Horde does, so cannot really answer this, but I guess this should help.

The Swarm cards (the actual monster cards) are all the same, except for Health (which goes up from 4 to 13; the Swarm Deck is arranged from lowest to highest).

They have: Gold 2, Health [4 - 13], XP 1, VP *.

The text box reads: The Swarm are worth 1 VP for each copy in your deck (Maximum 5 VP each). BATTLE: Gain one Disease. TROPHY: ATTACK +1.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new traps?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Any new traps?


I'm afraid, not. No traps (the Content listing above is complete).

Bye
Thanee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Yugblad wrote:
Any new traps?


I'm afraid, not. No traps (the Content listing above is complete).

Bye
Thanee


Thanks - was just a hope.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Teamski wrote:
OK, now the million dollar question: Did AEG make the box capable of carrying all of the cards through Doomgate, sleeved?


Same box as WotE, so yeah, sleeves should fit, as long as they are not too long.

Ultra Pro sleeves fit in there just fine.

Bye
Thanee
However, I'm gonna assume you're talking about standard thickness sleeves, not the premium ones.

Either way for me, if the 1st two exp fit, great. Otherwise, it'll be a fun project to find a box that will.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
However, I'm gonna assume you're talking about standard thickness sleeves, not the premium ones.

Either way for me, if the 1st two exp fit, great. Otherwise, it'll be a fun project to find a box that will.


Sorry, my bad. Havn't really meant the thickness at all, but rather the length.

As for fitting all the cards from the three sets (so far) into one box with premium sleeves... could work, but it would have to be tried. Depends on the specific sleeves, of course.

The box is exactly the same size as the WotE one, I believe (havn't got my WotE yet, unfortunately, but when I saw them next to each other in Essen, they sure looked the same size, and also judging from the pictures here, they seem to be).

Actually, judging from this picture, I would say, that you cannot really fit all three in a single box like that. But on the plus side, there should be room for the next two 300+ cards expansions, if you take both, the WotE and the DL box, to carry the cards.

Bye
Thanee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Koscielak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Thanee wrote:
Teamski wrote:
OK, now the million dollar question: Did AEG make the box capable of carrying all of the cards through Doomgate, sleeved?


Same box as WotE, so yeah, sleeves should fit, as long as they are not too long.

Ultra Pro sleeves fit in there just fine.

Bye
Thanee
However, I'm gonna assume you're talking about standard thickness sleeves, not the premium ones.

Either way for me, if the 1st two exp fit, great. Otherwise, it'll be a fun project to find a box that will.


Considering that the base game + WotE take up half of the WotE box, thickness shouldn't be an issue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
costi wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Thanee wrote:
Teamski wrote:
OK, now the million dollar question: Did AEG make the box capable of carrying all of the cards through Doomgate, sleeved?


Same box as WotE, so yeah, sleeves should fit, as long as they are not too long.

Ultra Pro sleeves fit in there just fine.

Bye
Thanee
However, I'm gonna assume you're talking about standard thickness sleeves, not the premium ones.

Either way for me, if the 1st two exp fit, great. Otherwise, it'll be a fun project to find a box that will.


Considering that the base game + WotE take up half of the WotE box, thickness shouldn't be an issue
Good to know. The premium sleeves are still on backorder, and I've already sleeved the base game, so there was no way for me to tell at this point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like swarm is horde with benefits, and diseasegulp!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray, seven heroes! Thank you, AEG
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
costi wrote:
Considering that the base game + WotE take up half of the WotE box, thickness shouldn't be an issue


But that is unsleeved, right?

I would be rather surprised, if they would only fill half the box in sleeves (esp. the sturdier ones).

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmb
Thanee wrote:
But that is unsleeved, right?

I would be rather surprised, if they would only fill half the box in sleeves (esp. the sturdier ones).

I would think so. A friend used the Ultra Pro sleeves and his game and expansion filled the box. I use the Mayday penny sleeves (100 per pack) and might have enough room for the second expansion, though not much more room.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Ultra Pro sleeves fit in there just fine.


The Ultra Pro penny sleeves do NOT fit in there just fine, they are several mm too long.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the Death Sentinel in that packing list? laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
Thanee wrote:
Ultra Pro sleeves fit in there just fine.


The Ultra Pro penny sleeves do NOT fit in there just fine, they are several mm too long.
I believe he was speaking strictly in terms of thickness, not length.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
KnobDoctor wrote:
Thanee wrote:
Ultra Pro sleeves fit in there just fine.


The Ultra Pro penny sleeves do NOT fit in there just fine, they are several mm too long.
I believe he was speaking strictly in terms of thickness, not length.


Nah, I'm pretty sure he was specifically referring to the regular ultra pro sleeves. When one says ultra pro sleeves, that's what they mean... That's the standard. Penny sleeves are the "exception" that needs to be specified.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the penny sleeves and they are a little to long, but the just curve a little in the slots. My original Thunderstone has different sleeves I think green fantasy flight ones? that fit almost exactly and do not bend at all
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Nah, I'm pretty sure he was specifically referring to the regular ultra pro sleeves. When one says ultra pro sleeves, that's what they mean... That's the standard. Penny sleeves are the "exception" that needs to be specified.


Yep, that one. Sorry for not being more specific.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
I have the penny sleeves and they are a little to long, but the just curve a little in the slots. My original Thunderstone has different sleeves I think green fantasy flight ones? that fit almost exactly and do not bend at all


The green Mayday ones fit perfectly, too. I expect to be able to get the expansion in the box with everything else (if I take out the extra disease card and old dividers).

Agreed, the Ultra Pro thickness is fine, the height just forced everything to be in at about a 20° angle and man was that irritating. I wound up replacing all of my sleeves. It would have been easier not to use Ultra Pro penny in the first place.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The penny sleeves are just that, cheap. They do get the job done, to a degree, but shuffling cards with those sleeves is a pain.

Unfortunately, the decent ones are actually quite expensive for so many cards. You end up paying about as much for the sleeves as for the whole game.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
Chrisxny wrote:
I have the penny sleeves and they are a little to long, but the just curve a little in the slots. My original Thunderstone has different sleeves I think green fantasy flight ones? that fit almost exactly and do not bend at all


The green Mayday ones fit perfectly, too. I expect to be able to get the expansion in the box with everything else (if I take out the extra disease card and old dividers).

Agreed, the Ultra Pro thickness is fine, the height just forced everything to be in at about a 20° angle and man was that irritating. I wound up replacing all of my sleeves. It would have been easier not to use Ultra Pro penny in the first place.


Yep, the green mayday ones (the new ones!) fit absolutely perfect. I re-sleeved everything using these after getting them on Tanga. I had been using the ultra pros, but yep they are pretty thick and were a little harder to fit in the box.

Too bad there isn't a way to leverage the original game box which is bigger...

~telengard
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.