Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
First with the journals, and now, even more so, with the forums, users now have a great way to communicate directly, and to post comments and questions about individual games. It is great for the users who get their questions answered--since many people read the forums, you can be sure that someone will read what you post. However, I think this situation is not so good for the individual game pages. Useful discussions about individual games happen in the forums and never make it to relevant game pages--I've been guilty of creating such forum topics myself. Useful comments on individual game pages are not so easily seen, and you can see from the number of replies to articles on the articles tab that they don't get much traffic.

What to do about this? I have a couple of possible suggestions (yes, more work for Aldie--sorry!). One possibility might be to combine the tabs for articles, reviews, and session reports in the top tabbed window. I know I don't change tabs much if I can help it, but it means that I (nad possibly others) miss a lot of the new content there. That would be a tab really worth keeping active, and might bring more activity back to the game pages.

The other, more radical suggestion is to create a tags system for the forum similar to the tags for geeklists. But instead of having the "tags" be free-form, have them be game id numbers. Then if enough people tag a game "carcassonne", that forum thread can appear as an article on the Carcassonne page. If it gets tagged (again, by enough people) both Carcassonne and Carcassonne: the Castle, it could appear on both pages. If this worked well enough, it could take the place of the Articles section of game pages (but not reviews or session reports--those are different beasts). You could also allow the initial poster on a thread to assign it to a game, so that the thread could also appear as a normal article on the game page, as well as in the forums.

Does any of this make sense? I just don't want to see a lot of the useful game-specific content disappear into the forums, never to be found again, except by a search. This could be solved either by making the individual game pages more active (possibly by changing the tab system, if necessary) or by combining the forums with the game pages, using tags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
My plan is to unify the forums with the game articles and have them be interchangable. I like the idea of tagging an article to show up for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I have an idea on using the XMLHTTPRPC thingy to make looking up gameids easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
XMLHTTPRPC--isn't that the alien race responsible for placing mind control transponders on traffic lights in Dallas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea that forum threads and game articles should be interchangeable. I have had the same fear Daniel had that the game pages will die from inactivity due to the forum and the journals, but with Daniels tag idea it seems like they'll survive for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,

Thanks for posting this thread. I was just about to post a similar comment as my primary purpose for visiting the Geek is to research games. For me (and I know that there are others here who have different priorities), the best way to use the Geek is to start at the game entry and check for articles, reviews, variants, etc. Yesterday, my stomach turned when I realized that I was going to have to SOMEHOW keep track of all the forums too for the games I'm interested in. That's just not possible for me and so it was gut-wrenching pill to swallow. I just want to cast my VOTE for some kind of a system that perserves topics on rules, variants, FAQs, etc. on the game entry page. If nothing else, I'm begging the Geek community to post all those types of articles on the game entry page... NOT HERE. I applaud Aldie's great work and devotion to the site. I'm not really sure how his suggestions above will work, but it sounds like we need something like that fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.