Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pymm
England
melton mowbray
leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm looking at getting either this or Liberty roads.

Can anyone that has played both games give me a comparison between them and tell me which one is best and why?

I am pretty new to wargames and i will be playing solo, so both these will be deciding factors on a final purchase.

Any alternate recommendations would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, but haven't had the opportunity to play either one much. They're entirely different in terms of scale. Normandy '44 is about the D-Day landings and the first portion of the Nornmandy Campaign. Liberty Roads starts with D-Day (either the historical landings or, if you play the campaign, the beaches of your choice) and encompasses the campaigns throughout all of France, right into the industrial regions of Germany. It's really an apples-to-oranges comparison.

I don't believe one is more excessively complex than the other. For solo play, Liberty Roads has a slight disadvantage in that chit draws are part of the game (and the chits that your opponent has in his available pool should be secret). Normandy '44 is solo-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I also have both games, and I'd say without reservation that, while LR is a great game, N'44 is the better introductory and solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raynald Foret
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As the others says, Normandy 44 is more solo friendly since there is zero fog of war. But the fog of war in LR is not heavy and more importantly, it is a lot more fun to play, IMHO.

But they are really different animals. Normandy 44 is operationnal, but most of the decisions are on a grand tactical level. LR is a pure operational game, with a few strategic choices. Because of this, LR has a lot more replayability.

Both can easily be played on the internet via vassal/cyberboard.

If I had to chose between those 2 games to introcude a friend to wargame, I would chose LR without any doubt. But in the end I would advice you to go for the subject that interest you the more : a zoom on the opening of the battle of Normandy or the full campaign to liberate western Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whilst LR is a very good game, having played both, and given your situation, I'd also go with the recommendation for N44.

In my view it's easier to learn, solo, and takes up less space. On a practical front, I believe LR is now sold out, so it may be hard to find, except at a higher price. N44 is readily available, from a variety of sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pymm
England
melton mowbray
leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like opinion is split on both games so i think i'm just going to have to take a look at the rules for both games and decide that way.

Being in the UK the 20% discount doesn't really help me, both games are round about the £45 mark. So price is not a factor and they are both still available here.

Looks like i've got some long hard thinking ahead of me.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bottos
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, as has been said earlier Normandy '44 and Liberty Roads are two very different games. Liberty Roads is better compared to The Mighty Endeavor. While I've not played Liberty Roads, my friends have and they really like the game. I've played Normandy '44 and think it's an excellent game and is definitely a manageable game for introducing someone to the hobby and is very solitaire friendly. The rules are fairly straight forward. With that being said, some glitches have been found but are easily addressed with GMT's Living Rules and a FaQ on the Consimworld site. If you want a manageable campaign I'd suggest Normandy '44. If however, you want to go from the beaches to crossing the Rhine, then I'd say get Liberty Roads. I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and unfortunately haven't even punched either one. Sadly I have no place to play my games solo right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.