Recommend
24 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » General

Subject: Who's played Merchants & Maruaders!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N Koff
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yowza, this game looks waaaaay cool!
Who's played it and what are your impressions?
Is it a must have in a collection?
Thanks arrrh
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard Ruckriegel
Germany
Fürth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At Essen there was only 1 table with that game.
It looks very good, esp. the ships.
A buy for boys, my wife didn't like it at all so I didn't grab it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Grandini
Italy
Rubiera
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a hint of the game playing with a friend of mine for a couple of turns. First impressions are good, depending on the captain you draw you decide to go for piracy or merchantship, then you pick the boat that better suits your style (more cargo for merchants, more aggressive for pirates).
Then to score points you have to ship goods to ports demanding them, raid neutral vessels, fight against other players (possibly sinking them), accomplish missions, find if rumors are true or not, stash gold in your treasury chest and buy better ships (frigates and Man-o-war). So yes there are many possible tactics to earn Glory Points and if you die, you can start again with another captain so you'll never be out of game even thou you'll hardly win the game. On top of this you'll easily become the prey of English, French, Dutch or Spanish (and neutral Pirates too) ships hunting for captains with bounties on them.
Definitely a game to explore more with lot of things going on at the same time.
Bought on the very first day.
18 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it at Essen but as part of a tithe deal with my wife I had to select and turn over a portion of my haul so she could then represent them to me at Christmas. Along with Key Market, Merchants and Marauders has been secreted in my wife's wardrobe, probably in one of the more inaccessible regions of Handbag Mountain. So near, and yet...


28 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MFinch wrote:
I bought it at Essen but as part of a tithe deal with my wife I had to select and turn over a portion of my haul so she could then represent them to me at Christmas. Along with Key Market, Merchants and Marauders has been secreted in my wife's wardrobe, probably in one of the more inaccessible regions of Handbag Mountain. So near, and yet...




Why would you chose those ones!!

O.O
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
MFinch wrote:
I bought it at Essen but as part of a tithe deal with my wife I had to select and turn over a portion of my haul so she could then represent them to me at Christmas. Along with Key Market, Merchants and Marauders has been secreted in my wife's wardrobe, probably in one of the more inaccessible regions of Handbag Mountain. So near, and yet...




Why would you chose those ones!!

O.O


I guess it's really in fairness to my wife. She puts up with my hobby - and some times grudgingly participates - so I wanted her Christmas presents to me to be more meaningful to me, if you see what I mean.

17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and me bought the game at Essen and played one full and one half game at home. It was a lot of fun. The game mechanics are smooth and represent everything you want from a pirate game. The good thing is that you CAN win by playing a merchant. My girlfriend has played one and won with 10:7 glory points in our first full game.

If you´re a fan of the Golden Age of Piracy then you have to have it.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to hear from someone who's played both 4p and 2p and can make a comparison of the experiences.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Koff
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
barliman71 wrote:
I just had a hint of the game playing with a friend of mine for a couple of turns. First impressions are good, depending on the captain you draw you decide to go for piracy or merchantship, then you pick the boat that better suits your style (more cargo for merchants, more aggressive for pirates).
Then to score points you have to ship goods to ports demanding them, raid neutral vessels, fight against other players (possibly sinking them), accomplish missions, find if rumors are true or not, stash gold in your treasury chest and buy better ships (frigates and Man-o-war). So yes there are many possible tactics to earn Glory Points and if you die, you can start again with another captain so you'll never be out of game even thou you'll hardly win the game. On top of this you'll easily become the prey of English, French, Dutch or Spanish (and neutral Pirates too) ships hunting for captains with bounties on them.
Definitely a game to explore more with lot of things going on at the same time.
Bought on the very first day.


Does it look like something six and eight year olds can handle?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dudical wrote:
barliman71 wrote:
I just had a hint of the game playing with a friend of mine for a couple of turns. First impressions are good, depending on the captain you draw you decide to go for piracy or merchantship, then you pick the boat that better suits your style (more cargo for merchants, more aggressive for pirates).
Then to score points you have to ship goods to ports demanding them, raid neutral vessels, fight against other players (possibly sinking them), accomplish missions, find if rumors are true or not, stash gold in your treasury chest and buy better ships (frigates and Man-o-war). So yes there are many possible tactics to earn Glory Points and if you die, you can start again with another captain so you'll never be out of game even thou you'll hardly win the game. On top of this you'll easily become the prey of English, French, Dutch or Spanish (and neutral Pirates too) ships hunting for captains with bounties on them.
Definitely a game to explore more with lot of things going on at the same time.
Bought on the very first day.


Does it look like something six and eight year olds can handle?


If I may... I would say no. You could quite possibly do a simplified varriant, but I would not recommend it for a six year old as it is.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Grandini
Italy
Rubiera
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say a 6 years old kid can handle this game, too many decisions and possibilites to chose from. I would say you have to wait till they are at least 10 or better 12 to truly enjoy this game. IMHO
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Koff
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
If I may... I would say no. You could quite possibly do a simplified varriant, but I would not recommend it for a six year old as it is.


barliman71 wrote:
I wouldn't say a 6 years old kid can handle this game, too many decisions and possibilites to chose from. I would say you have to wait till they are at least 10 or better 12 to truly enjoy this game. IMHO


Thanks,
I suppose I could simplify the rules until they start wanting more -
Worked well for Pirates Cove arrrh
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
detroit cobra
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first session we started playing with the rules only half read since they seemed to be smooth and written clearly and we were that desperate to play this game, that we couldn't wait

There is plenty of interaction, more than I imagined when I once read the rules as they were published here on BGG. I now went through the rules letter by letter with the few rounds of play in mind and now understand the basic mechanics of the game. How important your Seamanship is in naval combat, your leadership skill in crew combat and what to do with it.

I could not manage to play another game yet but I think I should be able to play it during the week. As far as I can tell it's a blast! At least if someone is able to enjoy rolling dice

The only thing I disliked or found unusual was the unavailability of character improvment. I can imagine that this would have created well too mighty pirates, since ship improvement is available through special weapons and modifications which are very powerful.

So yes, I'm glad I bought it and would suggest everyone who likes dice-driven games to give it a try! The components are amazing, the rules certainly need some time to get through, but not all to much and it's worth while! Pirate themed - I love it arrrh
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.