Hammer of the Scots» Forums » General

Subject: Q: Nobles and Replacement pool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last sentence of the first paragraph under section 5.81 states: "Nobles are never placed in the Replacement Pool" (emphasis as it appears in the rules). Is this rule specifically for the start of the game, or is it in force throughout the entire game?

The reason I ask is because, in the following section (5.82) it appears that certain Nobles can (under certain circumstances) end up in the replacement pool.

First game scheduled for tonight (I hope). Thanks in advance.

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re:Q: Nobles and Replacement pool
Volstag (#450345),

only Moray may be sent to the Replacement Pool, but he is a quite "particular" noble (always loyal to the Scots).
The other 13 Nobles never die or leave the map, they can only switch side (and this may happens several times in the same game, even to the same noble!).
Of course be careful to keep the 13 "alternative identities" of the Nobles to a side and not in the Replacement Pool (e.g. if the "English" Galloway is on the map, keep the "Scottish" Galloway at hand, but not in the Replacemnt Pool).
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just remember if Moray dies in battle he is out of the game.

Great game I hope you have a good first experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys! I have one more question concerning hit allocation. Example: I have two blocks (A and B) both at a strength of 3. There's 3 points of incoming damage.

I'm 99% sure I have this correct, but...

Each individual point of incoming damage is applied to the strongest block(s) first. If there's a tie, the player may decide which block takes the hit. So, in my example, at the end of damage allocation I'd have Block A at 1 step, and Block B at 2 steps. Correct?

Basically, you can't apply the entire "packet" of incoming damage to the single highest strength block -- so in my example, I can't decide to destroy my A block and leave my B block at 3 steps. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

You first reduce one of the 3's then the other 3 then you get to choose which of the 2's to reduce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm (#451909),

Thank you sir! One more minor question: pinning has nothing to do with hampering a units ability to retreat? Initially, I thought it did, but it appears it only prevents blocks from moving (via card play).

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Volstag (#451917),

Yup, pinning prevents units from moving. Once combat starts they can retreat normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm (#452122),

Was able to play two games yesterday. I must say that, so far, I'm really impressed with the game -- a lot of difficult choices at every turn.

We did, however, run into the following situation: Winter had just set in. Wallace was at Mar. Mar returned home to.. Mar. Since Mar can only support one block over winter, we weren't sure how to handle this. Wallace could have gone to Selkirk, but it was enemy occupied (and from what I understand, Wallace has the option of going to Selkirk -- but he doesn't have to).

In the end, we decided that either Mar or Wallace is sent to the replacement pool -- and, in the case of Mar, no allegiance switching takes place. We'd basically be down one noble until it was drawn by the Scottish player.

Did we handle this correctly?

(for those who are curious, our first game resulted in an English victory, the 2nd game was a tie).

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Volstag (#452587),

To paraphrase John Belushi in Animal House:

"You screwed up Flounder, Wallace is dead"

The nobles always have to be on the map either as English or Scottish. If you get Wallace trapped with no place to winter, he's dead.

No rules handy but don't the English go home first? Selkirk should be unoccupied if they do. If the Scots go home first then Wallace is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phlegm (#452627),

Yes the English go home first so the only way Wallace wouldn't be able to go to Selkirk Forest would be a Wintering Edward I. But still Wallace wouldn't be dead as in the new rules Wallace and Moray can only be killed by combat - so he'd be in the replacement pool...sort of hiding out for a year or two...

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bruce.s (#453015),

Phlegm is correct w/ regards to English units in Selkirk (w/ the exception of a wintering Edward I, of course). Upon further reflection the Scottish player didn't want to winter Wallace in Selkirk due to the profusion of nearby enemy blocks.

We did totally misinterpret the rule and sent Mar to the replacement pool -- when Wallace should have gone instead.

In the end, the only Noble that can ever be in the force pool, for any reason, is Moray (per 5.82).

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.