3 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Variants

Subject: The holiday season (a gift for all) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmbmb
The holiday season is almost upon us. I figured I'd make a little variant for the holiday season as a gift to all of you for all the cool content, strategic advice, and rules clarifications you guys put up here.

Here's how it works. There are five spaces for five holidays. Once per game, when a player builds 1+ stable(s), he can place one stable on a vacant holiday space instead of on his/her farm. That holiday space now belongs to that player to the exclusion of all other players. The stable cannot hold any animals, but will count as a fenced stable for scoring (even if it is replaced by a Festivus Pole). The player now gains the advantage that his/her holiday space bestows. A player cannot occupy more than one holiday space. The player occupying the Festivus space can have more than 4 fenced stables, but cannot earn more than 4 points for fenced stables.

Of course, feel free to make your own rules for this!

[Please make suggestions for edits/improvements, if something occurs to you]

Edit: Clarifying Festivus vs. fenced stables points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtested for Balance?

It's cute.

Happy Holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmbmb
No. And I didn't take great pains to normalize the value of the holidays because if some are better than others (not sure if that's necessarily true), then I figured just let the players race to the good ones.

This wasn't intended to be super-serious thing, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Edit:
The net benefits are relatively close to each other...

Kwanzaa = +7 resources
Hanukkah = net +7 fuel
Festivus = possibly +4 stables in 5p game (8 wood)
Christmas = 3 "goods" plus improved growth
Eid-ul-Fitr = possibly 10 food, but probably unlikely to remain vacant until someone has 5 family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.