Subject: Which Game Is Better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Junk Heap
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm in a jam. I'm after a World War II game, but I can't decided which one. For anyone who has played these games, or has heard information, which game is better?

Axis and Allies-Revised Edition- Never played the game but it sounds fun. I hear that the older edition got boring becuase after a while, everything seemed to go the same way like previous games. Does the new game fix this?

ATTACK!- I heard it's pretty good, but the input is relatively few.

MEMOIR '44 - Sounds VERY fun, and I liek how short it seems to take.
Which one is better, overall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pattison
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Which Game Is Better?
JoshuaJupiter9 (#450425),

I'd say go for Memoir 44. A&A and Attack take a lot longer to play, and so you won't get to play them as often. M44 also has a lot more variety out of the box, with 16 scenarios, and expansions on the way soon. And of course, IMHO, M44 is loads of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaJupiter9 (#450425),

Go for M'44 or A&A Revised, Attack is not a WW II game. Attack is basically Risk on Steroids, while it's combat resolution system is interesting it is totally ahistoric.

If you want to play the whole war in one evening go with A&A revised, and yes it is much better than the original.

If you want to feel like you have fought some of the big battles of the war in the West , got with M'44. DOW is coming out with expansions that are going to add more units (I think) and cover more fronts (that's a fact).

You can't lose both A&A Revised and M'44 are great games it comes down to more of what you enjoy, the whole war or more detailed parts of it.

Good luck with your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on your personal preferences. Having played all three, I prefer Memoir '44's speed and replayability.

Axis and Allies Revised Edition
The main problem with A&A is that it is played on a static board. There are no major changes from game-to-game. But, if you'd like to replay a WWII "flavored" game in a few hours, A&A is a good choice.

ATTACK!
Another game played on a static board. There are some nice mechanics in this one, the land combat system and the limited number of actions (using Oil) of the advanced version. This game will drag with more than 2-3 players (we tried 6 and it took 45-60 minutes per turn - it was our first game with the advanced module).

As someone else mentioned, it is an an advanced Risk, with a WWII "flavor".

MEMOIR '44
As opposed to the other two games which are world wide economic war games where you produce units, M'44 is scenario based. You will not get any more units than listed in the scenario. Further, you won't play on a world map, but will zoom in to one small area.

Some of it's nice features include:
- Quick setup time (15 minutes)
- Fast play (30-60 minutes)
- A non-static board (terrain tile placement differs from scenario to scenario)
- Numerous scenarios (= high replay value)
- Quick combat resolution
- Very little down time (even with 8 players)

Hope this has given you some insight into all three games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junk Heap
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
Hawk (#450821),
Thanks for the answers. I never felt that Attack! would be the best, but now it is down to Memoir '44 and A+A. I do like world wide conquest, but the idea of the game getting boring after a couple plays frightens me. And now that I hear there is an expansion coming out, I feel that Memoir '44 will probably make it to my closet. Just a little more time to think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaJupiter9 (#450909),

A&A won't get boring after a couple of plays. Even the 2nd Edition wasn't boring after 20+. You can, especially with the 2nd Edition (can't really comment on the revised edition since I haven't played it), run into situations in which certain strategies/moves become "scripted" -- meaning they're used almost every game. The reason this happens is generally due to the fact that they've proven themselves to be worthy of repeating. One of my favorite aspects of 2nd Edition was trying to come up with counter-strategies to throw the perceived "winning" (scripted) strategy off kilter.

Either way I think you'll be happy. M44, for me, has the edge simply because it plays fast. You won't always have the time, or players, for a full blown game of A&A.

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junk Heap
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
Volstag (#451606),
To all those who care to see who won my vote, it was Axis and Allies. The world-wide conquest theme, not to mention the 366 diffrent units, renging from battleships to artillery, finally got the best of me. Now I'll wait paitently for it to arrive in the mail before I can finally open it, and then we shall see whether I made the right choice or not.
Once agin thanks for the insight!
Heap of Junk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Quinn Nix
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now that you've already decided, it's moot now. But I'll throw in my offering, anyway...

Even though they're both WWII-themed board games, and even though they both have lots of really nice playing pieces, Memoir '44 and Axis & Allies are really two different types of games.

Memoir '44 is a tactical game, whereas Axis & Allies is a strategic game. I think the distinction, here, is pretty important.

BTW: A board game that would be somewhere in the middle, between Memoir '44 and Axis & Allies, is Axis & Allies: D-Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.