Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group has enjoyed the game Chicago Express a lot. It really surprised us with its interactive play between players. What other games create this feeling of shifting alliances?

In my experience, Bohnanza and Acquirehave had some elements of this and are at about the same level of game weight for our group.

Do you agree and can recommend other choices for us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
The best companion game to Chicago Express would be German Railways, soon to be released by Queen as German Railways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a strong element of shifting alliance in The Bridges of Shangri-La. It's pretty good and it's also fast like Chicago Express. It's a game of majorities instead of economics however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The king of shifting alliances is Cosmic Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paris Connection
Close but hard to find...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Indonesia?

There players produce goods, but you usually need someone else to ship your goods, so they get part of your profit.

You might also be interested in 'leeching' games, like Puerto Rico or Race for the Galaxy where one players action gives everyone some degree of benefit, but you can make buildings that improve certain actions for you, so if two players both have e.g. a produce/consume strategy or a building strategy going, their role choices tend to help each other out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Keep an eye on Poseidon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider hidden traitor games. Players must work together and trust each other to be able to win, but any given player may be working against you, so you don't want to put too much resources/responsibility into their hands, especially if they have already made quesionable moves. However here the alliances are forced by loyalty cards rather than emerging organically.

Battlestar Galactica is the best of the genre, Saboteur is also quite good IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much any 18xx game will feature this, but they are certainly much weightier. My personal favorite for shifting alliances is Imperial, which ranks high on my best games ever list, as well. It's longer than Chicago Express, but the rules are no more complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Chan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should take a look at Container . A good econ game where player need to cooperate on certain level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone. You've given me some games to explore. I have played Cosmic Encounter, and that does a good job fitting the bill. Except that only the guys like it, the women roll their eyes at another space game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Hab & Gut and Graenaland.

Edit: and Colossal Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.