Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, on the season board there is a space for a circular & square token in each season. Why is there a solidarity circular space for luxury goods in winter? At first, I thought this meant you could only produce luxury goods in winter but then there would be no need for the square luxury token.

I suspect I'm missing something obvious here, so please help!

page 6 wrote:

3. Receive resources/luxuries
Square fields usually produce 2 resources, while circle fields usually produce 1. However, in each season, the resource or luxury indicated by the square token will not produce anything in the square fields or round luxury fields (villages), whilst the resource indicated by the circular token will produce 3 resources instead of the usual 1.

Shouldn't this be expanded to read "resource indicated by the circular token will produce 3 resources instead of the usual 1 in the circular fields only."? I can see how someone less used to reading rules might incorrectly apply this to all fields of that resource type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take:

-luxury goods are the only goods produced in winter (guilds may create exceptions), and they produce 1
-there is a square luxury token so that there will be one season when luxury goods do not produce (and there is one square token for each other resource, when square fields of that type will not produce)
-yes, the circular token produces 3 instead of 1, in circular fields only (in fact, fruit/vegetable/grain only, as there are no circular tokens for sheep/fish/luxury)

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Firstly, on the season board there is a space for a circular & square token in each season. Why is there a solidarity circular space for luxury goods in winter? At first, I thought this meant you could only produce luxury goods in winter but then there would be no need for the square luxury token.

I suspect I'm missing something obvious here, so please help!

The seasonal board is pretty logical-

If you look at the top row, it shows that in Spring, Summer, and Fall all circle fields produce 1 and all square fields produce 2. In Winter both circle and square fields produce 0.

The second row shows the seasonal effects, which are randomly determined for Spring, Summer, and Fall and indicate that

(a) one of the three crops (apples, wheat, cabbage) will produce 3 instead of 1 in its circle fields that season
(b)one of the 5 resource types will produce 0 instead of 2 in its square fields (or in the case of the square luxury token, luxuries will produce 0 instead of 1).

There are no random seasonal effects for Winter, other than the obvious fact that no fields yield any resources. Towns, however, still DO produce luxuries (not affected by Winter) so that is why the luxury icon is shown.

Of course, luxuries still produce in Spring, Summer and Winter, but this does not need to be shown as an icon because it is covered in the top row, which indicates that all circle fields produce 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:

The seasonal board is pretty logical-

Do you know,... I completely missed that crucial information in the top of the season board shake ! That explains it all.

I don't seem to find a specific mention in the rulebook to point this out, which seems a bit of an oversight as far as explaining the rules? If I am wrong on this & it is covered, please let me know where.

Thanks,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, on page 6 under "3. Receive resources/luxuries" it explains production in detail, and then in the sidebar the 'quick rules' say: "The basic production is 0 to 3 depending on the shape of the field and the season. The production is indicated on the seasons board." [emphasis mine]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has it been a fun game thus far?
Inquiring minds would like to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The printed resource token in winter confused me also initially as the rules seemed to stop all production in winter. However in the second year, luxury production is possible hence the icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.