United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is bound to be an "in" religion and you're the subject of it, can we substitute the word "in" for "DarthXao" in the religion's name? I think it's catchy and descriptive. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cool idea..

but i think everyone is already over there worshipping toggy. ~laughs~

from what i can gather it's well earned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it odd that my first thoughts were that we need to make a martyr for this new religion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Is one of the benefits of adherence a free ice cream sandwich on Wednesdays? If so I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an ice cream sandwich today at lunch. It's not Wednesday and it wasn't free but I don't care. Now I'm gonna go reread the posts in which toggy types the words fuck and clit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to pay you lip service before eating any meal that purchased from McDonald's, if only because it means I can apply a new label to myself (Oh, how I loves me some labels). No more, no less... well, maybe less. I'll probably forget in an hour, honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two points :

1) I find this interesting but the name is just ... not lame ... oh yeah : PLAIN STUPID !

"DarthXaos-anity" ... WTF ???
In mean, why the X is in upper case and why there is an useless "-" ?
So, call it like it should be : Darthxaosanity and I'm in.

2)
Quote:
I will use such power to the benefit of myself and my followers, in that order. My followers will receive special treatment over the unenlightened in such cases..

OK, let's speak 'in theory.
Suppose ... I said SUPPOSE one of your wannabe follower ask to make a retroactive law that made it legal for him to rape, torture, maim and kill 17 children (Age 10 to 14) between Saturday 23th October 2:15pm and Saturday 23th October 4:10pm, if he helps you achieve World Domination... Would you accept to do that ?
WOULD YOU ?

Because if so, you can totally count on me to help you achieve your goal before the 13th January 2011 ... when my trial is supposed to begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Benavides
Germany
Wuppertal
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Edit:Lyrics Link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthXaos wrote:
Science can or will be able to explain everything in the universe, those things that cannot be explained by science simply means science has not discovered the explanation yet, but there certainly is a rational explanation.

You've no doubt heard of the "God of the gaps" fallacy. The "Science of the gaps" is equally fallacious.

rcbevco wrote:
Is one of the benefits of adherence a free ice cream sandwich on Wednesdays? If so I'm in!

Uh... well... on the other hand... If that gets included maybe we could just overlook that "Science of the gaps" thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Science can or will be able to explain everything in the universe, those things that cannot be explained by science simply means science has not discovered the explanation yet, but there certainly is a rational explanation.

This is already the central tenet of my religion, so I call dibs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Benavides
Germany
Wuppertal
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neoshmengi wrote:
Quote:

This is already the central tenet of my religion, so I call dibs.

Do you hold the copyright or can we Darthxaosians use it too? It could go either way with patent/copyright laws these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lelandpike wrote:
DarthXaos wrote:

You've no doubt heard of the "God of the gaps" fallacy. The "Science of the gaps" is equally fallacious.

I think I agree with you in sentiment (It's as impossible to deduce that science will explain everything as it is to deduce that the concept of a deity will explain everything, although we can't rule out induction), but I really don't see how these could be equivalent phrases. The "God of the gaps" issue is that various concepts of god are constantly being pushed "back" as we learn more about the universe (So while at first you may have a physical god, later it will be immaterial but directly involved and after that it will be immaterial and directly involved but through indirect mechanisms and after that, etc). This doesn't really work well with science primarily because science doesn't assert anything in and of itself (It's a process) and secondarily because our application and understanding of science isn't on the regress.

Getting back to the topic at hand, count me in for "Darthxaosanity." There's no need for the capital X and hyphen... but of course if Xaos once them there then we can't really override his word. He is the closest thing to a god-king we've got at the moment (Apparently).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we need a microbadge. Anyone with graphic skillz willing to offer a good one for darthxaosanity?

Wehn will you issue commandments? Will there be burning bushes? Will darthxaos come to the mountain or the mountain come to darthxaos? Will we gather together in a commune and end our lives by taking poison together/ shootout with the feds? Is there a holey commet or another sign? We need signs!

These are the issues I worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
I think we need a microbadge. Anyone with graphic skillz willing to offer a good one for darthxaosanity?

Wehn will you issue commandments? Will there be burning bushes? Will darthxaos come to the mountain or the mountain come to darthxaos? Will we gather together in a commune and end our lives by taking poison together/ shootout with the feds? Is there a holey commet or another sign? We need signs!

These are the issues I worry about.

I'd get a microbadge that said "Darthxaonist" or whatever our equivalent derivative term is here.

Do we have any holy days? Can we just make up holy days and claim that you told us they were holy on the assumption that nobody will ever bother to look it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lelandpike wrote:

No, it's not. He's not posing an explanation. He's proposing that whatever explanation there is, it's not supernatural, which, you know, without any evidence of the supernatural is the most reasonable position.

To provide an example away from religion/science: it is not know who was Jack the Ripper. If the mystery even solved, it's overwhelmingly probable that it will be due to historical research; that's not "history of the gaps", it's merely asserting that historical research is the proper methodology to assess that sort of problems. Saying "the lizardmen did it" is a "lizarmen of the gaps" fallacy; saying "history can solve it" is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I won't join unless there is a book. No religion worth it's salt comes in throwing it's weight around without a text. How else are we to hide behind lame apologia like, "Well, that part is actually metaphor," and "You see, that portion is actually meant to be read as history." Not to mention the right to reinterpret the exact same text differently throughout the ages as we see fit.

And hats, I'd like a hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Poseur.

I see nothing in your OP that allows you to MONETIZE your new faith.

L. Ron has you beat- and will be sending his lawyers to you asap, as soon as they receive their instruction from the Star Father on Planet Quotzl.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
DarthXaos wrote:
OK I had started writing this last Monday, but then work got in the way.

Anyway:

Some Of The Teachings of DarthXaos (First Draft)

Behold, since there is no heaven and no hell, the only thing that matters is having fun in the here and now. One of the main and most important ways in which to have fun is sex.

This I teach you: Sex is not to be restricted to "relationships". One is to have sex because they are attracted to the person and find it fun. One should not put themselves in the position of having sex as an obligation, in exchange, direct or indirect for goods and favors.

Thou shalt not enter into an exclusive contract to providse sex only to one or a limited number of persons. All "relationships" MUST be open.

For those who have trouble finding willing partners, it is not forbidden to exchange resources or favors to have their needs met. It is only forbidden to be on the "supply" side of such an arrangement. Obviously, this is less desirable than to have mutually desired sex, but until we can enlighten the world, this is unfortunately the case.

Contraception in next post.

* Yawn *, Heinlein beat you to it. Can you * grok * that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think it's high time I started my own religion. We will call it DarthXaos-anity.

I think I'll call it DarthXaos-inanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.