BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wallenstein a.k.a. Shogun - new version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears Queen Games is planning a new version of Wallenstein to be named "Shogun."

This French site of upcoming games says "Shogun (rééd. Wallenstein)"
http://reixou.free.fr/parutions.php

So what's the skinny on Wallenstein, anyway? It's ranked no. 7 here. I wonder if I could ever get my non-confrontational wife to play this with me.
Is it cutthroat?
Does it work at all with 2 players? - I see the game page mentions a possible 2-player variant.
Hmm, 150 minute playing time. Maybe too long for me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about the dice tower baby! =)

TO answer your question, the game can be cutthroat and confrontational, but to a certain extent. This is because you are limited in your attacks. You can't attack someone without risking not providing enough food source for the winter. So you are limited in your expansion.

The game is also not all about attacking someone, but rather also about building structures that will get you victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun will be based on the Wallenstein system. It's not a reprint or rethemed version of Wallenstein - it's a new game, in the same way that Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is a different game from Carcassonne. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/80054 .

I don't think Wallenstein will play well with two players, though I've never tried it. I think it works best with 4-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who knows? Maybe Shogun will play well with 2 players. We just have to wait for it to come out and see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're crazy, man. CRAZY!

Honestly, if you think that the playing time is too long, avoid the game. Further, this is a wargame )that appeals to many euro-players, but it is still a wargame), so your wife will probably not like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm assuming she wouldn't like it. My wife is my main game opponent.

It sounds great to me, though. I guess I need to join up with a gaming group, if I want to play games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foster
United States
Eagle Bend
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is though how well will it be sold over here? I think it will be very hard to find this game especially since Queen no longer is working with Ueberplay. Does anyone know who will be doing the North American distribution for this game?

Thanks and have a sauron day

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.