Subject: Layout generator program rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Brooks
United States
Caswell Beach
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I have in mind to write a computer program to generate interesting random layouts for Catan games. Not to play the game, but merely to create layouts, which the players can then copy as they lay out the physical tiles and number tokens.

Why? Because a computer can generate layouts that are random but “nicely” random, maintaining certain desirable properties. Such as, the 6 and 8 tokens don't clump together, no resource is starved, etc. I also might throw in variations like making the island's coastline somewhat irregular.

Before I do it, I want to know if anyone has done it already. Anybody seen such a program?

Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the latest edition changed the rules for the distribution of the number tokens?

In our, quite old set, you start with the A on one of the outside edge land tiles and then work your way around spiralling in (skipping the desert of course). There will be no clumping of 6s or 8s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like an interesting and manageable task for a programmer, but is it really a useful tool?... After all, players can randomize layouts as they build the island and change whatever they want before rolling for starting player.

As for random number token placement, it's pretty easy to implement rules for valid number token positions while dealing out the tokens randomly. It's possible to end up with nowhere legal to place the last token, but it's very rare.

Karlsen wrote:
Has the latest edition changed the rules for the distribution of the number tokens?

In our, quite old set, you start with the A on one of the outside edge land tiles and then work your way around spiralling in (skipping the desert of course). There will be no clumping of 6s or 8s.

Some people prefer random number token placement. I don't really like the idea most of the time, and prefer to do it your way, but to each their own.

Yes, clumping of 8s and 6s is always illegal, even if you are playing with random token placement. Even the video game sticks to this rule (thank goodness).

Edit: typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

The 4th edition almanac has a variable setup option that says:

Quote:
Alternatively, you can use a fully random set-up. Place 1 token on each land hex. Start at one corner of the island, and place the number tokens in random order. In such case, the tokens with the red numbers must not be next to each other. You may have to swap tokens to ensure that no red numbers are on adjacent hexes.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think it would be useful. Especially if the UI lets you specify properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
I think it would be great if you could design totally random ones or choose your own as well. Something that could give you output like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two catan layout generators for the Android, although I have not used them and don't know how they run or what they do other than generate a random setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
I think it would be great if you could design totally random ones or choose your own as well. Something that could give you output like

(image)

That would be a great idea. I hadn't heard of this promotional pencil & paper version. I doubt I know anybody I spend enough time with to get use out of a pencil & paper version, but I'll look at it anyway.

As for the generator, if there are people who would ever play a pencil & paper Catan game generator, then it'd be worth it I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard W
msg tools
I wrote a PHP script to do this. Available at http://settlerssetup.sourceforge.net/.

Why? Because it's a hassle to through shuffle the tiles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.