Stewart Cowan
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up at Essen this year, and (in my copy at least) some of the components are very similar to each other in colour; which may be a problem for some of the gamers in my group with less-than-perfect eyesight.

- The dark blue player discs are so dark as to be indistinguishable from the black bonus action discs.

- the shade of the plain wood cubes isvery close to that of the white tools cubes.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not have the problem with the black/blue discs but the wood/white was acknowledge as trouble in production (i.e they where not meant to be so alike), I know someone bought news cubes for it. Personally I noticed that the Yellow player discs vs The Yellow player tokens was a problem for however played Yellow though (mostly because many people think big disc color of money, oh five money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Daamen
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
designer
Hello Steward,

We made the decission for the colours on base of a coloursheet we had received from the factory. There was no time left to order some component for a try out for the final selection. Because we where out of time according the tight production scedule and the delivery of the rules, board and cards to the factory.

Finally, the games where delivered strait away from the factory to our booth in Essen.

We also where dissapointed about the less difference between the colours we had selected from the factorysheet. And I feld frustrated and sometimes irritated myself. I have wooden cubes from an other company I used for my prototypes and thought these where the same.

But I have seen the last four days when playing in the booth that you can get used to the difference between wood and white.

Yellow are two different colours. The coins are smaller then the player action discs. so you can seperate them.

Purple, yes that sucks a little bit. But also here you can seperate them from the bonus action discs.

I hope that you and everyone else who have problems with the colours can get used to this.

Best regards,

Anthony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Cloostermans
Belgium
Schelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are indeed some things that can be improved, maybe in a second editon ?

I would have preferred something completely different for the money. Like the beatiful gold pieces from Machiavelli e.g. or the big coins from Age of Empires or so. Even carton coins would have been better than the wooden discs that can easily be confused with action discs.

The purple will not be used often at our game table, it is too dark, indeed almost the same as the black ones. Since there are 4 other colours that's not gonna be an issue very often.

I had not such a big problem with the difference between wood and white. Although it could have been better, as mentioned already.

An indication of the limits of each action on the board would be handy. I mean: max. 3 fabrics, max. 3 resources, max 5 trades, max. 3 trades of same kind, max. 7 invention blocks, max. 2 steps on patent track, Max ? preduction of inventions... it's a bit much to remember, especially the first times you play the game, or when it is a while ago. A small player aid might solve this also.

There is also the symbol of an empty cube on some cards, meaning any kind of cube, except wood and black if it is for building a fabric... It are that kind of exceptions that you have to remember that make the rules a bit more complex as it should. Since there are only 3 other kind of cubes, it would have been easier to show the allowed colors.

I certainly does not mean this game is not good. This list is only meant for making a great game even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Daamen
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
designer
Hello Erwin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I take that as a compliment, Because you can also rate the game down instead of giving your possitive opinion. So I really appreciate it!

And yes, I'm agree with you with most of the things. So if this game will be received good enough, then there hopefully comes a reprint.

So than we can take al the suggestions with us to make it a better game and more play friendly.

Anthony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Cowan
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response - I'd bought the game based on positive impressions from other people and I hadn't really watched the game being played at Essen, so the colours were a surprise to me! Sorry to hear about your production issues - I'm probably going to get my paints out to reinforce some of the colour differences as I'm very keen to get to play it soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice the purple/blue problem at all. White/Natural seemed ok.

My wife the yellow player placed her gold as workers a few times though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Black and purple are virtually identical in my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The copy at bgg.con did have blue disks so dark they were nearly black.

Definitely some room for improvement here in the colour choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I played this last night and we had lots of problems with the colours of the components. Didn't have any issues with the purple cubes, but I couldn't distinguish the blue and black at all. And the yellow player kept getting her tokens and the gold coins mixed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.