Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time we respond to a journal entry (err, forum entry), there's this annoying little check box we have to disable. It says "Send me a message when a reply is posted."

Now, I like the communication of journals (though not necessarily true for the new forum format), but I like to choose when I go look at each thread. I don't need 50 messages popping up saying that someone has posted to a thread I put a comment in way back when. Usually, I remember to disable this check box, but it sure would be nice if the default were either 1) not checked or 2) whatever you last used.

Speaking of those messages that clutter up the inbox, they usually don't tell you where to find the full thread. On those instances where I end up with the junk e-mails, I note the subject lines, delete all the messages unread, and then go to the forums to try to find the threads in question. But there are a couple of problems there: 1) the threads jump around all day, I guess based on most recently replied and 2) how do you figure out what thread it's in when someone changes the subject line on the 15th post within a particular thread?

I'm just not yet getting the hang of these forums, hence I respond less frequently than I used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can disable the "send a message when a reply is posted" in the Control Panel. I should make the default to be false.

Update: I changed the default to "off" for automatically send me a message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
they usually don't tell you where to find the full thread

Hm? Don't the notifications include a link to the thread in question?

As Aldie said, you can set your control panel to default it to off. That's what I've done. I was annoyed when it was defaulting to on and the user couldn't override the default (so if you lazily forgot to de-check it, you were flooded with reminders)... but Aldie implemented the control panel override a week or so ago, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie,

Yes, default of "false" would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
they usually don't tell you where to find the full thread

Yes, but if you click on that, you get yet another window and still have to go back (to the original window) to delete the e-mail that started the whole thing. If your intent is not to use those links and get even more windows cluttering your screen, there's no way to know how to find the message just by going to the forum index.

But I see that the default is now "false", so that makes a world of difference. Thanks Aldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting an individual email for every response again. I thought that was fixed???

Also, where is this "Control Panel"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scroll to the top of any forum page; the control panel link is up in the first box, along with the search link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:

Yes, but if you click on that, you get yet another window and still have to go back (to the original window) to delete the e-mail that started the whole thing. If your intent is not to use those links and get even more windows cluttering your screen, there's no way to know how to find the message just by going to the forum index.

Rightclick - Copy-Shortcut ; Address-bar - paste - Enter opens the link in your current browser window and you can 'back up' back to your inbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

Rightclick - Copy-Shortcut ; Address-bar - paste - Enter opens the link in your current browser window and you can 'back up' back to your inbox.

I usually just drag the link up onto another tab heading or into another Firefox window. Works wonders. And, as far as I know, works in Firefox on all platforms. cool Safari does a similar thing, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.