I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
The reason I'm asking is that for the third time in less than a year I've had issues.

The first time was with Powerboats where I was missing a boatload of components:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/473066/my-copy-had-no-bo...

The second was with Die Macher where I received two of one state card and none of another:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/508290/im-batting-000-on...

Now, I just bought Through the Desert and have five of one color rider and seven of another (I will send an email to FFG tonight)

In the first two instances, I received great customer service but I was just curious if anyone else experienced anything like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very very lucky. I have had exactly 3 problems with board games out of 300+, and two of those were with Settlers of Catan bought from a no-longer-existent FLGS. The tiles were badly miss-cut in the base game, and the Cities and Knights expansion was missing one of the flip books.

The other problem was a Volcano board that was completely split in half in shipping. I don't blame the vendor in any way for that one as it was packed fine. They sent me a replacement (very heavily padded) within a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Three issues in less than a year is not unlikely for me. I'm sure I've had better and worse years than that. It's not really a big deal for me, as all issues were quickly and easily resolved. However, that looks like it is 1/9 of your collection. So while it is entirely posssible, it just looks like for you it is a greater percentage of your games that were problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only think of a couple of times I've had missing components in new games. One (Order of the Stick), I managed to get a quick response from APE games, and they sent me a replacement. The other (Dungeonquest Heroes) was pre-Internet, and I substituted another lead mini for the missing character piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Three issues in less than a year is not unlikely for me. I'm sure I've had better and worse years than that. It's not really a big deal for me, as all issues were quickly and easily resolved. However, that looks like it is 1/9 of your collection. So while it is entirely posssible, it just looks like for you it is a greater percentage of your games that were problematic.

Yeah, and I have not really updated the collection at all.

I just wanted to get a sense if this was normal or if I should be on the look out for lightning strikes.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fewer than one in twenty games bought new; and I've never had a problem with resolving the issue. I find that perfectly acceptable. My faith in the quality control and customer service of board game companies big and small is unshaken!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
~150 games. Can't think of a problem I've ever had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 problem in 60 games, and I wouldn't doubt if some day I actually did find the "missing" power grid garbage counter somewhere in the living room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty often, maybe one in twenty. It depends; I don't think it's very easy for there to be problems with card games (misprinted cards are easy to spot and very rare), but games with miniatures or fragile bits can be easily broken mid-shipment. (Though this was a while ago now) When my wife and I received the Settlers collector's box for our wedding the pirate ship and some of the figures were broken (sad day); I never went through the trouble of replacing them. And I was one of many who had a 'poorly baked' set of Middle-Earth Quest figures; even though only one of mine was damaged, just a broken axe, FFG sent me a nice new replacement set of all ten.

Oddly, I've had also had multiple instances of missing wooden cubes; Tigris & Euphrates was missing the small green cubes (promptly replaced by Mayfair), and Blue Moon City had no grey or blue cubes (promptly replaced by FFG.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Porter
United States
Davison
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever experienced one problem with a game. It was supposed to come with 3 unique decks of cards, and instead had 3 decks but 2 of which were duplicates. I had the third unique deck in my hands within a business week of sending an email to the company. I was impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
3 issues total, out of 169 games. Interestingly, they were all with FFG products - who in turn were very quick with replacing the defective components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
UPDATE

On Saturday, I received a package from FFG containing a replacement rider (on top a camel - FFG said the piece would ship better that way).

Kudos to FFG for their great customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only had three:

Android had a sheet of tokens with the wrong die stamp and FGG was very quick to send me replacements.

Tales of the Arabian Nights did not have a sea route on the board. It's a minor thing and I know where it is supposed to be so there really is no issue.

Betrayal at House on the Hill (Second Edition) has a few tiles warping (there are a few discussions on BGG regarding this). My floor tiles aren't bad, but the character tiles and the starting three-room tile are pretty warped. I'm waiting to hear back about the quality of replacements. In the meantime, I'm attempting to flatten the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
through 400-500 purchases, I can't think of any.

I've gotten some miniatures that were broken due to shipping to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some missing pieces too. But only 2 times out of 150 games (well ok, about 30 are still unopened, so who knows... zombie )

Years ago my copy of Maya was missing a few cubes and lately a much bigger problem occurred when I was missing all the green cubes for Galaxy Trucker. Away from the missing cubes, around 1/3 of the flight-cards were damaged as well.

I still have to send an eMail in both cases, but I will do for sure and I´m very confident that both companies will handle this easily.

But there were 3 other much bigger problems with other games. Attika had a damaged (completely teared up) corner on the inside box, so you couldnt see it at first and WildLife had damaged components inside the box. It looked like a played copy, but it was shrinkwrapped.
The 3rd one was my copy of Alchemist where I had another teared corner, but this time it was just a small tear and not the whole corner.

Never tried to do something about those box problems, as I don´t think I would get a new box or new game in the case of Wildlife (which was already OOP at the time I got it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some problems lately. It's the fault of BGG : Since I am buying games from from small publishers I see cheaper produced components. Sometimes this seems to go wrong. I have never had problems with the big publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never with any company other then FFG.

FFG games: About 40% of mine have had something missing, broken, or printed wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Berquist
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
My copy of Blood Bowl shipped without the passing ruler. GW customer service seemed like the guy didn't believe me, but they promptly shipped the replacement. It was packed well and arrived in about 6 business days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.