Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first phase where you "have" to buy an island you may sell a card for 5 ducats or jewels for 3 ducats but Only if you have no ducats to make the purchase. After the card is sold it is removed from the game and cannot be used any longer. You cannot sell cards for ducats at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember this being discussed previously and someone giving an example of another player who soled islands in the end of the game so to obtain more Gold = jewels.

So is this you posted official?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
So is this you posted official?
I am sorry, not sure what you meant by this statement. I was replying to a previous statement someone had made about selling cards. You can only sell a card if you have no money and make a must purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is still not quite clear. Can you sell a card or a jewel only when there is NO card you can afford, or when there is ANY card you cannot afford? In other words, if there is only one card you can afford, must you purchase it, or is it permitted to sell a jewel or a card in order to be able to purchase a different card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
This is still not quite clear. Can you sell a card or a jewel only when there is NO card you can afford, or when there is ANY card you cannot afford? In other words, if there is only one card you can afford, must you purchase it, or is it permitted to sell a jewel or a card in order to be able to purchase a different card?
I would say No. It says you must sell if you can't afford to buy an island if that is the only island you can afford you must by that one because you have the money for that one . It does not say that you can sell to buy an island that you want. But, as you know, you can house rule anything you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
manchuwok wrote:
I would say No. It says you must sell if you can't afford to buy an island if that is the only island you can afford you must by that one because you have the money for that one . It does not say that you can sell to buy an island that you want. But, as you know, you can house rule anything you want

Is there a different translation than the one in the files section of this game? All I can find on this subject in that file is the following phrase:

English translation wrote:
You must buy one of the 6 island cards displayed next to One-Eye’s pirate table. Pay the cost shown on the bottom edge of the card by putting that number of ducats back into the supply.
If you do not have enough ducats you must first obtain them by selling jewels or an island card.

It's still unclear. The most literal interpretation actually leads me to the conclusion that you can sell cards or jewels to buy one card you can't afford, even if there is one you can. But I'm not sure if that's the original intent or not. Can any German speaker weigh in with the original rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It's still unclear. The most literal interpretation actually leads me to the conclusion that you can sell cards or jewels to buy one card you can't afford, even if there is one you can. But I'm not sure if that's the original intent or not. Can any German speaker weigh in with the original rule?
Yes I see what you mean. I guess it could go either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have to put the question to Kramer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go read the rules in English on www.yucata.de.

You may sell any number of islands at the beginning of your turn. Not in the middle or end of your turn. And not in the final phase.

If you cannot afford any of the six available tiles, then you must sell a combination of tiles or jewels until you have enough money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cweiss20 wrote:
You can go read the rules in English on www.yucata.de.

You may sell any number of islands at the beginning of your turn. Not in the middle or end of your turn. And not in the final phase.

Went to yucata.de and read the rules there was nothing there stating that you may sell as many islands at the beginning of your turn. You must be assuming that for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
We'll have to put the question to Kramer.
Good idea but how do you get a hold of him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfgang Kramer wrote:
You can sell islands and jewels at any time you like, but you have to do this, if you cannot afford any of the island cards on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Wolfgang Kramer wrote:
You can sell islands and jewels at any time you like, but you have to do this, if you cannot afford any of the island cards on your turn.
Thanks did not know you could do that to get a better island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.