BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Hex Game Board with Star Background rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Johnson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm currently working on my first prototype for a spaceship combat game and am in need of a board. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a large hex board, or a few boards that can be combined together to create a board approx 2 feet by 3 feet with the hexes being 2 inches measured face to face (same size as Tide of Iron hexes). Do I need to get this printed or are these available somewhere?

Or if someone knows how to easily draw a hex grid on a piece of black foam board without it looking terrible.

My alternative would be to use Tide of Iron game boards but I'd prefer something that is black as the miniatures I have made all have black bases.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking at this. Does it help?
http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/GGT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RacNRoll Gaming
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eltranne wrote:
I'm currently working on my first prototype for a spaceship combat game and am in need of a board. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a large hex board, or a few boards that can be combined together to create a board approx 2 feet by 3 feet with the hexes being 2 inches measured face to face (same size as Tide of Iron hexes). Do I need to get this printed or are these available somewhere?

Or if someone knows how to easily draw a hex grid on a piece of black foam board without it looking terrible.

My alternative would be to use Tide of Iron game boards but I'd prefer something that is black as the miniatures I have made all have black bases.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.terrainmat.com/HexGridsLand1.1.html

Thats for clear overlay hex mats. You will then just need to get some posterboard or even wallpaper withthe space/star pattern on it to put under it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessex used to make their battlemats in black, but that color has been discontinued. http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_Megamats.htm

It's possible that you can still find it at one of the online retailers.

And I know I've seen a cheap paper hex mat with a starfield background. It was a close out accessory for $1. I think it was within the past year, but I honestly can't remember where. You might want to prowl the clearance area at some online shops.

If you've got toner to burn, Paizo has a PDF of starfield maps. Print one and have them copied, then cut and paste them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Hotz ArtWorks "Hotz Mats". I bought a blue one for Axis & Allied War at Sea minis, but they have a variety, including "Deep Space" - black with a star field!

http://www.hotzmats.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
Happy Habaneroween!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Frontiers Knight Hawks came with a hex board like you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Johnson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys, does anyone have experience using Litko's spray templates? I love the idea of being able to paint a hex grid on the surface of my choosing but it seems like it would be messy and difficult to get all the hexs to line up properly.

The Terrain Mat and Hotz Mat are gorgeous. It would be really nice to be able to roll up the mat as well.

I think I will check out some clearance sections and try and find a cheap paper one for now and get a nicer mat later, or maybe even find a used copy of Knight Hawks.

You guys have been a great help, I didn’t even realize this kind of stuff was available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can find some maps from Silent Death. Those are almost exactly what you are looking for.

Plus, if you are doing a space combat game, you owe it to yourself to check that game out - it's pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here's one...
http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-deep_space.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eltranne wrote:
The Terrain Mat and Hotz Mat are gorgeous.

Having 2 of the Hotz Mats, I wanted to 2nd the recommendation. These are awesome.

One of the best things about them is you can get most of them printed double-sided with different hex grids made on order for your preferred hex sizes (or without any grid at all). This allows to play several space games while only buying one mat -> cheaper and easier to transport than 2 mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.