Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Do you play with fan made cards for Dominion?
Yes, Frequently.
Yes, Occasionally.
Yes, I've tried one or two cards.
No, But I'm open to the idea.
No, And I never will.
      117 answers
Poll created by Buggy

I'm really curious. I have a lot of fun making and trying out cards for games I like, and then I like to share them and get comments. But my time for playtesting is limited. I have other more lucrative projects to work on.

Do you play with fan made cards? If not, why not? If so, which ones have you tried and what feedback do you have on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never have but I'm open to the idea. As of right now I'm still happy with the cards available. Never felt the need to introduce anything new yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got a few packs of blank cards. I colored each set of cards a different color. So I can now play with up to 6 proxy cards(white, green, purple, orange, red and blue) at a time. Eventually I'll get enough for all 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't sleeve my cards, so you would know which cards are coming up. Plus, there are already so many cards that the massive influx of new cards from expansions means that I'll likely never be left wanting.

Now, if they ever stop putting out expansions and someone put together an artscow file of the best cards tested over time, I might consider ordering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has proxied some of our own cards for testing, found them interesting but never terribly exciting.

I frequently browse through fan made cards and when I see stuff that looks interesting I pose it to the group - we've got enough blanks to make a few cards and I know a print shop in town that could do the print run if I had an image file so upon discovering that I've been seeking a fan made card or two to buff up my set.

We only started this in the last couple weeks so I voted "No, but I'm open to the idea" because the only ones we've tested so far have been our own madness. I imagine in a couple more weeks the answer would be "Yes, Occasionally"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
With official expansions coming out so quickly, I never feel like I have enough time to fully explore them before something new comes along. So far, I haven't seen the need to try fan expansions and I can't imagine ever wanting to. Even when the official expansions stop being produced, there'll still be many combinations of cards I've never played with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the base game there are thousands of different sets of 10 kingdom cards to play. With the expansions there are millions (perhaps billions.) So I really don't think I'll ever need more, because there's no way I'm going to manage to play this game that many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Johnson
msg tools
mb
Blott wrote:
With the base game there are thousands of different sets of 10 kingdom cards to play. With the expansions there are millions (perhaps billions.) So I really don't think I'll ever need more, because there's no way I'm going to manage to play this game that many times.

While technically any setup of 10 cards with 1 different from another is a "unique" set, many, many of those permutations are fairly redundant as far as play goes. With the base set there are 3,268,760 different combinations of 10 kingdom cards, I don't think you would have to play the game 3,268,760 times before you get bored of similar looking setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think fan-made cards are much more fun to create than they are to play with.

And this is coming from somebody who has made a re-themed total conversio n to Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wight
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried. I have no idea what kind of card i can throw in there that wouldn't play around with the game too much. Last time we played a buddy said we should have a card that costs like 15 copper that would let you steal a card at random from someone else. What have you done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElysiumSA wrote:
Blott wrote:

While technically any setup of 10 cards with 1 different from another is a "unique" set, many, many of those permutations are fairly redundant as far as play goes. With the base set there are 3,268,760 different combinations of 10 kingdom cards, I don't think you would have to play the game 3,268,760 times before you get bored of similar looking setups.

Hey congratulations!! You just leveled up in geekiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElysiumSA wrote:
Blott wrote:

He's another perspective that I've been thinking about that takes in the consideration of similar looking setups. Let's say you just wanted to play games such that you play each card with each other card (in other words, every two card combo possible). If you have all the expansions, that's 13,340 combinations (116*115). And for each game, a card can be played with 9 other cards so that'd be 1483 games (13340/9), but since they are 2 card combinations, I think you'd actually divide that by 2 giving you about 742 games with different 2 card combinations. (Did all that makes sense?) That's still a lot and I've probably only played somewhere between 100-200 games. Even though I haven't played 742 games, I do get sick of seeing some cards and welcome a fresh card that plays differently.

On the other hand, I agree that the expansions have been coming out too quickly. Take that and the fact that I haven't had the oppurtunity to play as much recently, results in the fact that I haven't used a fan-made card since Alchemy came out. Although, as I mentioned earlier, I've gotten more blank cards to use them as proxy so that we can start using more fan-made cards in our games, as I think I'm ready for them considering I was one of the lucky ones who has had Prosperity since August (not that I'm sick of any of the Prosperity cards yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.