Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Flying Colors» Forums » General

Subject: differences between GMT and DTP editions? which one is better for the money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
differences between GMT and DTP editions? which one is better for the money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't know what teh DTP version looks like. But the DTP is no longer available so availability alone may steer your decision (unless you have a specific source for the DTP version). Also, the GMT is a "2nd edition" since it was published after the DTP so I would assume any revised changes were already included. Finally, from what I know, DTP was self-published so I would assume GMT's treatment of the game had to be better just because they are set up to do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GMT Site Game Entry

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-273-flying-colors-reprint-edition....

From there you can get to designers Website for more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And on that site, he mentions that he is no longer selling DTP versions of games that are now professionally published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,
thank you everyone. My issue here is not availability though. I am trying to decide between buying a DTP edition for $20 or a GMT for $50. Given the difference in price, if the old game plays the same, I would go for that one and wouldn't mind less nice graphics and components..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hartlen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game itself has most likely significantly evolved since the DTP version. You should take that into account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The_Giant_Squid wrote:
The game itself has most likely significantly evolved since the DTP version. You should take that into account.

The game has even evolved from the GMT edition to the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco,

Don't even consider the DTP version for anything other than a collectible. The professionally printed version is vastly different and much more playable than the original DTP version.

Only $20? Damn ... there goes my plan of retirement based upon flooding the market with copies of the DTP edition. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT have a 20% off Fall sale on all their in-print games until November 5th. Order from their website. That makes your price $40.00 for the new Reprint with the thicker counters.

Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Padraic, you convinced me!
Mike, I am sorry I killed your dreams!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use coupon code F1020 on the order to get the 20% off. If you already ordered, then email/call the GMT office and ask them directly to apply it.

Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.