Subject: Introducing the Secret Police rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: conspiracy_theory [+] [View All]
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
So, when do we get to meet the Secret Police?
Multiple threads have been locked in the forums over the last week, with no indication of the responsible party, nor any reason offered. I've spoken privately with at least one BGG regular who admitted he has been empowered as a moderator.

I'm one of those who was, and remains, all in favor of responsible moderatorship. Two points, however:
First, it is common practice to NAME the moderators, particularly as they are authorities to which newbies might appeal for assistance in guiding their posts, and to keep them honest.
In addition, when a thread is locked, I'd like to know why. How do you expect people to figure out what is and isn't "appropriate" without such feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this have something to do with that gizmo in Aldie's picture yesterday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey, I don't mind not knowing, I'm just glad it's not potter!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
potterama wrote:
So, when do we get to meet the Secret Police?
Multiple threads have been locked in the forums over the last week, with no indication of the responsible party, nor any reason offered. I've spoken privately with at least one BGG regular who admitted he has been empowered as a moderator.

I'm one of those who was, and remains, all in favor of responsible moderatorship. Two points, however:
First, it is common practice to NAME the moderators, particularly as they are authorities to which newbies might appeal for assistance in guiding their posts, and to keep them honest.
In addition, when a thread is locked, I'd like to know why. How do you expect people to figure out what is and isn't "appropriate" without such feedback?

Some sites do name their mods, some don't. Most do, but it is really the decision of the admins whether they want the complaints directed at them or at the moderators.

Locking a thread is usually self evident, and the ones that were locked here lately seemed to be following the same path.

Lastly, calling them the secret police is both unfair to them and the Aldie and Derk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Hey, I don't mind not knowing, I'm just glad it's not potter!

How do you know it isn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Xlyce wrote:

Some sites do name their mods, some don't. Most do, but it is really the decision of the admins whether they want the complaints directed at them or at the moderators.

I've never seen a forum with unidentified moderators. I'm sure they exist, but that sounds, frankly, like a terrible idea.

Quote:

Locking a thread is usually self evident, and the ones that were locked here lately seemed to be following the same path.

Obviously it's NOT "self evident," or I wouldn't have asked why they were locked. They may be evident to you. If it's so obvious, I'm sure a moderator would be proud to own up as to WHY they were locked.

Quote:

Lastly, calling them the secret police is both unfair to them and the Aldie and Derk

No it's not. They are secret police. Unidentified authorities and arbiters of right and wrong. You get to guess whether your definition squares with theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:

To be fair, they are moderating (policing) the forum anonymously (in secret).

I, for one, welcome our new Undercover Overlords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they are not Undercover Giant Robot Monkey Overlords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S W E E T !
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
As long as they are not Undercover Giant Robot Monkey Overlords.

What do you mean? If you have to have Overlords, the Undercover Giant Robot Monkey kind are the sweetest kind to have.

All IMHO, of course.

Say, could somebody just whip me up an Undercover Giant Robot Monkey Overlord smilie? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
potterama wrote:
I've never seen a forum with unidentified moderators.

How would you know that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claytonius Maximus wrote:

Say, could somebody just whip me up an Undercover Giant Robot Monkey Overlord smilie? Thanks.

How about a pirate monkey robot overlord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
This is ridiculous.

Everyone knows pirates and robots have fought each other through the ages over their long unresolved philosophical differences.

robotMMMarrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would have to agree with Potter on this. The most annoying thing is the lack of communication as to why a forum is locked. This is unacceptable.

I do not mind the idea of moderators, I would prefer that they not be anonimous. However they cannot impose their rule without some kind of communication. That is way too Big Brother for me to stomach.

If you have chosen moderators who are too shy to explain why they are moderating in the way that they are, then you have made very poor choices.

Can't have moderators who will not be accountable and responsible for their actions to the majority of people on this site, the regualr users.

So if the moderators have a problem with confrontation, then they have no business in the very confrontational job of moderator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also noticed replies being deleted. Are moderators doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goadrich
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for this thread to be locked in 5 ... 4 ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I just had a message deleted from another forum. I will give this a week to work itself out then I will just delete my cookies and relate to this hobby the way I used to. Without BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mozbink wrote:
I just had a message deleted from another forum. I will give this a week to work itself out then I will just delete my cookies and relate to this hobby the way I used to. Without BGG.

So moderators are deleting replies. Aldie and Derk, please do something about this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Mozbink wrote:

So moderators are deleting replies. Aldie and Derk, please do something about this!

Yes please delete these transgressors replies!

nuclearnuclearnuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep... We have moderators. Usually when I lock a thread I put a reason at the end, and I will tell the others to do the same. It's usually been when a thread has come down to name calling or something equally as childish.

I am working on getting the moderators published as well... all things in time. I've taken on an extreme workload with the forum software as well as running BGG.CON, so a little patience please.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The problem is not deleting the replies, the problem is there needs to be more communication. Nothing should ever be deleted anonymously and without some kind of communication as to why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, I suggest never deleting replies or threads but only editing them with a message like "This post has been edited by Moderator because of XXX". Lke others have said, communicating why things are done helps immensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Ed,

Like I said, I will give it a reasonable amount of time to work itself out.
However seeing forums locked, and other peoples comments deleted without any information as to why is not one of the things that attracted me to this site.

This will be a better world for you Ed. Enjoy it. Drink the Cool Aid, the spaceship is coming. It IS coming.

You may never see this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
quozl wrote:
Aldie, I suggest never deleting replies or threads but only editing them with a message like "This post has been edited by Moderator because of XXX". Lke others have said, communicating why things are done helps immensely.

No it won't, the complainers will complain no matter what.

What many of you fail to understand is that this site has grown enormously in the last year, they need extra staff to handle the load. The issue around the mods being anon is also because it is not a fun job, and based on the way many of the posters here act, every action the moderators take after they are known will be scrutinised by the people that are complainers.

A better solution is to just go on and treat BGG like you did before, a place to talk about games and have fun discussing them.

Quote:

No it's not. They are secret police. Unidentified authorities and arbiters of right and wrong. You get to guess whether your definition squares with theirs.
[/q]

No, they are moderators, they are the garbage men of the internet, they get to clean up the messes that others have left behind and get complained about. Are they going to put you in jail or torture you because you disagree with Aldie and Derk? I think not.

The phrase Secret Police conjures up images of oppression in an unjust community, which is not true here, every single poster has the right and the choice to not be oppressed by the staff here (unidentified or not), Mozbink has already made his threat, I guess time will tell if he makes good on it.

You guys are getting too stressed over absolutely nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, Now I KNOW I was being a bit harsh in my judgement. One of the moderators emailed me and explained why a comment I made was deleted.

Turned out it was because I was a JERK. Now this I already knew, and this I can deal with.

I should have been patient as I can see that this problem will work itself out.

No need to panic. Everything is under control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlyce wrote:
the complainers will complain no matter what.

Come on, do you actually believe that? Do you think some people are just born complainers and will always complain? I have this crazy notion that maybe they don't like something and that's why they complain and if you make the thing they don't like better, they'll complain less or maybe even stop complaining!

I guess I'm just a dreamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.