♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Poll
Do you put potato peels down the garbage disposal?
Yes. In fact, what doesn't go down the garbage disposal (besides the obvious, like bricks)?
No. Seriously. No. Who doesn't already know this?
      63 answers
Poll created by Verkisto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just leave them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why peel potatoes? They're tasty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
In the disposal, but very carefully.

or

all in at once followed by a plunger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
BigChzy wrote:
I just leave them on.

QFT. Peeled potatoes are pure carbs, almost no vitamins or minerals.

Edit: however, that doesn't mean they're worthless. They have the highest calorie content per pound of any food in the world, and they're cheap to grow - which is why the Irish potato famine was so devastating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting story regarding this subject:

Years ago the wife was making a big boiled dinner and was peeling multiple pounds of potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, etc., and stuffing all the peelings down the garbage disposal. It became plugged solid and I tried using a drain snake and a plunger to no avail. My brother, at our house for the aforementioned dinner, said he had seen drains cleared by putting a garden hose down the drain and letting the water pressure clear the clog. This plan was put into action and it seemed to be working, the water was going somewhere. Then I looked out the window over the sink to see water cascading off the roof. The hose water had pushed straight up the sewer vent ("stink pipe" in plumbing terms) and poured out on the roof. I went outside to look and was delighted to see colorful potato, carrot, onion, cabbage, etc., peelings all over the roof. It looked like the vent had puked after overeating.

So as regards the poll:
A few peeling down the disposal-okay
A shitload of peelings-not so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
bismarck1871 wrote:

I regret that I have but one thumb to give to this story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bismarck1871 wrote:

I had a disposal at my old house. The water would back up, but I would just hit the disposal to push the water down. I just thought the old plumbing was sluggish.

I came home from vacation one day to a small sink- (and stink-) hole in my driveway, right under the kitchen window. Turns out there was a break in the drain. The sink drain exited the house and met up with the rest of the drains under the driveway, so the only waste hitting the break was the sink. It was packed solid in front of the break (about 5' worth of kitchen waste). Since the only water going down there was the kitchen sink, the water would slowly drain into the surrounding ground, eroding it (hence the sink-hole).

When the workers dug up the driveway, the smell was incredible. I was apologizing to neighbors for the week it took for the smell to dissipate.

Two grand later, my disposal worked GREAT!

Still, I don't pack it with tons of potato peels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think someone here has this as their avatar. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They go in the compost heap of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Compost!!

We don't even have a garbage disposal, we just compost everything that would go in it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
acctualy in the house complex I live in all foods have to be thorown in a special bag that is put in a special bin that then is transported to be turned into Biogas. Well theoritcally, because in the summer they did not pick this up, and it's on the cellar/garage floor (-1) so you can gues show the cellar/garage was smelling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with erak - there are never any potato peels to dispose of - they get eaten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to keep the peels on too. More flavor, better nutrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I made the mistake of putting potato peels down the disposal once... once.

Now that I own a home and have a yard, they go in the compost pile. Actually, between the compost pile and our new curbside recycling, it's surprising how little trash my wife and I generate on a weekly basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is most homes have wimpy little disposals that can't do the tough work. Most disposals are 1/4 HP.

Put in a 1/2 or 3/4 HP disposal, and you will be grinding up everything. Including bricks.
Ok, maybe not bricks, but pretty much everything else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
See, this is my problem with garbage disposals. Every so often I hear about something new that you can't put down the garbage disposal. Pretty soon there's going to be nothing left that I can put down the disposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Oliveira
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor little potatoes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garbage disposal aren't common in Germany, so the peels go either in the regular trash or they go in the compost where available.
On a side note I cook potatoes first and peel off the thin brown skin after that. Most of the vitamins and minerals stay in and the skin can be put in the trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
UPDATE: I was able to put 1/3 of a cup of baking soda into the disposal, followed by 1/3 of a cup of vinegar, and that seemed to do the trick! The water is draining, and disposal is whirring, and all is well in the Bickerstaff household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
and all is well in the Bickerstaff household.

...that you know of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
UPDATE: I was able to put 1/3 of a cup of baking soda into the disposal, followed by 1/3 of a cup of vinegar, and that seemed to do the trick! The water is draining, and disposal is whirring, and all is well in the Bickerstaff household.

You didn't even try the hose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
kuhrusty wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
and all is well in the Bickerstaff household.

...that you know of.

Well, yeah, but I'm accustomed to the fact that this can change at any given moment, for no discernible reason. I've been married for eight years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Deleted for excessive bitterness... and complete lack of reference to potatos...

...or is that potatoes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.