Subject: About interrupt attacks. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Podkowa
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Ok some of us were playing a game in our shop and I was running around as a marine for a change. We were playing for a bit and came up with some problems.

Well it pretty much comes down to being on a guard action and having one box of grenades I was prepping. The invader was in the middle of playing a dud card on me to get rid of the nades. I then take my interrupt action while he was playing dud which stopped him from playing and I then procede to throw it and make things go boom, then after that happened I lost my grenade ammo.

Then 15 min later the invader was about to play panic on me and I then again use my interrupt attack to stop him from playing it then make a beautiful attack and blow thru with a chaingun.

Now if you read through all this the question is did we play the right way? Following the letter of the rules "The Invaders turn is immediatly halted" would seem to say that it would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Re:About interrupt attacks.
gLOBS (#450990),

In both cases, I would have said that the card effect happens before the interrupt attack. Playing a card is like rolling the dice. Once revealed it is a done deal.

To make it totally fair, the Invader should ask if the Marine wants to use him guard action before each card is played, before revealing what the card is.

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Boily
Canada
Unspecified
QC
flag msg tools
Re:About interrupt attacks.
gLOBS (#450990),

In our group, we consider that the cards that are played at the start of the invader turn are not really part of the invader's turn, so interrupt attacks are not possible at this time.

Our marines can make interrupt attacks only after the invader player has played his "at the start of his turn" cards (including spawn card) but they can interrupt before the invader activate his first monster.

There is less confusion about timing this way and it seem fair for the marine players. It saves some time too: you don't have to wait for each of your card if the marine want to make his interrupt attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to dig up an old thread, but this has come up in our online game (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4347858). Both marines are on Guard with a bunch of baddies right next to them, and the Invader plays 2 PANIC cards, taking away both our Guards and bearing the smack down on us.

To be fair, both of us were planning on using our guards immediately to kill the baddies right next to us. The question is, can we interrupt before Panic is played or not?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say listen to Mike. The dice analog makes sense to me. Besides as a FFG Playtest Coordinator he has more authority in rule interpretations than the rest of us.

But if you both were truly going to use your guards right away, before knowing that a panic would come, then you should be able to do that. Next time invader should give time to play guards or Marines should announce that they are going to play their guards right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having followed the game, I don't really get how this can come up. If you already had your target, why didn't you unload/advance instead of ready? Only time this should come up (that I can think of) is if a marine moves up to a door and guards, while a later marine opens the door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. H.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

if I recall correctly, a "DUD" card is played AFTER an attack was made that did not use up any ammo (see FAQ or revised cards from the expansion).

I would also rule that once "PANIC" was played, the affected Marine cannot say "before that, I use my guard order!". That would make the whole card useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. H.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

just checked again regarding the "DUD" card. My memory didn't fail me, the card text was changed to the effect descried before.

Regarding the "PANIC" card:
The card clearly says that it is played at the start of the invader's turn.
As per the rules on "Timing and Start of Turn" on page 11 of the rule book, such cards must be played after the invader player had discarded his hand down to 8, but before he activates any of his invaders.
The first paragraph also makes clear that the invader's event cards always receive precedence as long as the invader declares his intent to play the event card in a timely fashion. This is also true for the marine guard order.
Therefore, as the marines must give the invader player a reasonable amount of time to decide whether to play a card or not (AFTER he has discarded down to 8), I would say there are not much chances to resolve a guard order before it is taken away with the "PANIC" card.

As a rule of thumb, I would just let the invader player play all his "at the start of your turn" cards, and when he finishes this phase of his turn, and therefore his activation phase starts, then he can be interupted with guard orders at any time.

Regards,

Timo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.