Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Sandbags:

The rules say Sandbags are removed when a unit leaves the hex.

- does the unit dying count as leaving?
- if not, can other units enter and then use the sandbags?

On Hexes:
Hexes split by the sector lines are in both sectors, right? We play that way, but I don't recall ever seeing it discussed in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandbags: if a unit moves out of a hex containing a sandbag, or they're eliminated by enemy fire, the sandbag is removed. Note that you cannot re-occupy the hex and keep the sandbag.

A hex that is split by section lines counts as being in both sections. As a result, they're often good hexes to occupy (IMO).

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandbags:

The rules say Sandbags are removed when a unit leaves the hex.

- does the unit dying count as leaving?
Yes. Think of it this way - as you remove the unit from the hex then you also remove the sandbags as part of the same action. So if the unit is removed due to elimination, simply moves out itself or is forced to retreat then the defensive advantages of that hex are immediately lost to any subsequent unit moving in. Note, this is true even if an attacking unit close assaults and takes ground at the same time that the defending unit retreats. The defensive advantage of the position is still lost i.e. sandbags are removed.

- if not, can other units enter and then use the sandbags?
No, as above.

On Hexes:
Hexes split by the sector lines are in both sectors, right? We play that way, but I don't recall ever seeing it discussed in the rules.
Yes, the split line hexes are considered to be in both adjacent sectors and as such represent good tactical positions to hold to maximise the full potential of your command cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think eddies question is a good one.

Are you taking into account close assault rule which states you can take the ground when you eliminate the enemy. In actual warfare sandbags remain when an enemy is overrun. Even in retreat they do not stop to load up their wheelbarrow and run away with their sandbags...do they?

I've always wanted to be in a war with my trusty wheelbarrow...I'd be invincible so long as no one shoots out my tire....but I digress.

I play the game as the rules state but I thought I'd throw my 1db1db in and have some fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your close assualt you could have destroyed those postitions, so I will answer an resounding NO way on the attacker getting control of the Hex with the Defenders sand bags intact.

Leaving is leaving, whether that be to the great beyond, being forced to retreat, or moving out by choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sandbags represent more than just sandbags. They represent all the improvements a unit can make in a prepared defensive position. Sometimes this won't involve any actual fortifying at all. Some examples includes clearing fields of fire, setting out range stakes, coordinating fire with adjacent units and camouflage. Even existing fortifications may or may not be useful to a new unit, depending on equipment, state of disrepair and the threat axis. While Memoir'44 uses little figures and minituares I think it's best to consider those as merely suggestive of the concepts. Wire, for example, may represent wire, but it could also represent a minefield (or even a fake minefield) an antitake ditch or even some natural terrain that slows movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.