Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Pravel
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have LoRH so I am unable to test, but I wanted to thank you for making this. You have taken what is already one of the most thematic games to a completely new level. Fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bcpravel wrote:
I don't have LoRH so I am unable to test, but I wanted to thank you for making this. You have taken what is already one of the most thematic games to a completely new level. Fantastic!

Thanks, Bryan. Keep in mind that you can always go the print-and-play route for LoRH if you want to give this great game a try!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Pravel
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the relationships between some of the cards like "The Sherrif Issues A Warrant" and "Robin Hood Steals The Warrant" or "The Sorrowful Knight" and "Sir Richard of Lea". The interaction between cards like this really bring the Robin Hood stories to life.

Not only that, but the cards look great and match perfectly with Universal Head's awesome print-and-play graphics. I've not done a print-and-play game before because the cost and effort never seemed worth it. Your cards might just push me over the edge though.:cool:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Cool! I hope I can convince my wife to give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bcpravel wrote:
I love the relationships between some of the cards like "The Sherrif Issues A Warrant" and "Robin Hood Steals The Warrant" or "The Sorrowful Knight" and "Sir Richard of Lea". The interaction between cards like this really bring the Robin Hood stories to life.

I designed some of the cards with card interaction in mind, but whether or not we have the "correct" amount of interaction only playtesting will tell.

I agree that the cards will add a lot to LoRH. This game of course already has a lot of theme, but there is so much more in the various Robin Hood tales, ballads, and novels that the game doesn't address. The cards will bring many additional elements of the legends into the game, while also opening up new options and strategies for both sides.

And some of the game mechanics, while well-designed, just don't get used much. A staple element of all RH novels is the capturing of outlaw leaders and their subsequent rescue, but that is usually a rare event in LoRH if both players know what they're doing. With the event cards, a capture is just about guaranteed to happen at some point in the game--but a well-planned rescue attempt will almost certainly succeed also.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian ("Doddlemonkie") sent me some feedback via email from his recent game using the event cards, so I thought I would post his questions and my replies here for all to see.

Quote:
So, I finally managed to get the images printed and the cards assembled. I've finally managed to get a game in this evening so I thought I'd drop you a line while it's still fresh in my mind.

These observations are just based on the cards we got to use in the game. These were the questions I noted:

Card O16 (Sheriff's feast) - what if Robin is in the Keep, or captured? Also - we had it that Robin was unable to move due to the Witch card. I read this as his movement option nullified, so he could still be placed at the location with the sheriff, but not move until the Witch card condition had been met.

Robin needs to be in play (not captured or wounded) for the Outlaw player to play this card. If the witch card is on the table, neither of the feast cards can be played.

Quote:
S23 - This was an interesting situation. Robin was in Nottingham town thanks to the potter card, so had amnesty when 'the monk of St Marys Abbey' was played. We agreed that Robin was protected by the amnesty, so another leader was taken instead. Was this the correct call in your opinion?

You played this correctly. If a character has amnesty, they may not be captured by any means. I will add capture to the amnesty definition.

Quote:
Overall I found in this first try that the Sheriff player used perhaps twice as many cards. I was the Robin player; I didn't get to use the deck as much as I'd thought, but that was because I was holding onto my cards. I won by quite a large margin but to be fair, Diane hadn't really developed a good strategy of captures to really exploit the new rules you've put forward. I'm looking forward to turning tables and trying out the Sheriff role.

I found the ebb and flow MUCH more interesting; the board got utilised a lot more, and there was always a clear strategy thanks to the VP incentive on the cards.

However I did find a few logistical issues with the sequencing. Mostly this involved other stacks coming in to support friendlies in a square already engaged with the enemy. For example: Robin moves with two outlaws into a square containing one man-at-arms for 1:1 combat. Let's say the Sheriff player answers this with his move by adding another man-at-arms to the mix. Is the first attack resolved before this one? Or do the men-at-arms combine? If the latter, is it now treated as a 1-2 attack (robin rolling for it) or is it now an attack by the Sheriff player at 2-1?

(As I read it, you're sequence has us resolve all movements before any combats are resolved).

Players should conduct all movements before resolving any combats.

Quote:
Oh yes, there were also some specific questions about movement -

Passing: When a player moves a unit, then play passes to the other - can he/she pass for a turn, or does he/she forfeit subsequent moves for that turn?

The intent is that there is no passing allowed during the movement phase. A player must either move an eligible unit or his movement will end for the turn.

Quote:
'Dropping off' Units: When a stack begins a move (as one movement), would you say it is permissable to drop off units with less movement points? I suppose I'm saying, does the stack have to move as one unit, or can you break it up as you go?

A player’s movement consists of “activating” all the units in the same space; these units may then move into any eligible space. A group of units that begins movement together may end in different spaces. The stack may “drop off” units in spaces it moves through. Also, units that begin the turn in the same space may move into completely different spaces, all part of the same move; there is no requirement for them to move together.

Quote:
Traveller Moves: I couldn't find a rule to cover this. We moved the traveller tokens before either player moved during the movement phase.

Good catch; I should have mentioned that travelers move during the Random Events Phase.

Quote:
We got the game to turn 30 - exactly the moment when Richard met with Robin, winning the game. Diane only managed 9 VP but I think she relied on her old strategies too heavily and missed a number of good chances to gain VP.

I really enjoyed trying the game out using your modifications and I'm very keen to give it another go. I hope this feedback is of some use to you!

Ian

Thank you so much for the feedback, Ian! I will post version 1.1 of the rules after the results of some other playtesting comes in.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of the event deck. Question, I looked on artscow this morning and was wondering if the cards are your final version, or are you still making changes.

Again, nice work and thank you for the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards look great, this is next on my list after I finish Dune. Without wanting to hassle you, but is the 1.1v of the rules you mention going to be uploaded or is it a case of melding 1.0v and thread comments for now. Thanks for all your work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a link to these decks on ArtsCow?

thnks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Is there a link to these decks on ArtsCow?

thnks!

I revised the decks last year. Here are the links to the latest versions:

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/robin-hood-card...

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/robin-hood-card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bickart
United States
Seneca
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
How and when do these great Event Cards come into play in the Legend of Robin Hood game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bick 10 wrote:
How and when do these great Event Cards come into play in the Legend of Robin Hood game?

Go to the files section and take a look at the .pdf document entitled "Event Card Variant v2.0 (2013 edition)." From there, download the two card almanacs. The card decks are also available on ArtsCow (links are in the almanacs).

Hope you enjoy it! Let me know how this variant plays out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.