Subject: should i get it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
i'm thinking of getting this game--problem is, i know some people find AGoT complicated. Reading through the online rulebook myself, i think the rules are quite straightforward. Maybe just when the titles are involved (of whom supports whom part) makes the game more confusing. Any comments? How many players is considered multiplayer, when titles are used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles,

Well my short answer is "YES"!

Are you in to other card games or the literature of Westeros?

As far as multiplayer (referred to as "melee"), that is anything more than two players (which is referred to as "joust").

The rules may seem pretty straightforward, but there are a good bit of timing issues, card interactions, and rules confusions that may pop up the first couple games. The FAQ on FFG's website helps A LOT, but to be honest you need to blunder your way through a game or two to even have enough experience/familiarity for the FAQ to be much use IMO.

Here are a couple good threads that address some of your questions:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/541709/light-or-heavy-sg...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/536746/first-play-4-cont...

Aside from that there are lots of other good threads. Peruse the reviews & general threads and you should find a lot of other viewpoints/opinions that may help.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you should get this game! It is pretty straightforward in the mechanics, but I think how they all interact in actual game play provide for a very rich experience with lots of choices and subtleties, and some may say complexity. Remembering titles (with support and oppose), in addition to keywords, was brain-burning for me when I first started out. But I stuck with it through a few plays and memorized some cards, and it's definitely better.

If you get the core set, it's pretty much designed for multiplayer (called melee in AGoT speak). Melee is defined as any number of players over two. You can potentially play up to six players. I've heard of a kingsmoot game (see Kings of the Sea expansion) with 8 players, but that's a bit much I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
anyone played/own memoir 44? comparison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both M'44 and AGoT, but really there's not any similarity at all between the two. Any particular reason you're asking for a comparison between these two games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
thinking which one would be a better choice to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get M44 unless you are into WW2, the AGoT-game Battles of Westeros have the same basic system but it is a much better game (at least withot expansions). And as mentioned the games are very different and you should be able to make an easy choise if you know what you want (just 2-player or multiplayer, miniatures, how hard/easy game to learn/get skilled at).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
which is easier? M'44 i suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes (at least that's my oppinion), not because the rulebook is harder but AGoT LCG cards all (many at least) have different rules and interact with eachother in different ways. (The core-set decks also have very little of the same cards in them, which makes it slower and harder to get a good flow the first games). I still recommend AGoT LCG over M44 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very different games, I own both. I'm going to stick up for Memoir '44. I think its a better game if you're just two players most of the time. Its also easier to teach a new player. It feels more complete w/o expansions, or with any number of expansions. lastly, its a game I consistently remember how to play, after not playing for a couple months, without a rules refresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
They are very different games, I own both. [M44] also easier to teach a new player. It feels more complete w/o expansions, or with any number of expansions. lastly, its a game I consistently remember how to play, after not playing for a couple months, without a rules refresh.

I agree with the above. That said I don't think M44 is very funny game (but I play and love other WW2-games) and I love AGoT LCG (partly because I read the books). If you're not very experienced with CCG/LCG I would recommend getting M44 if it's between the two of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
I guess M'44 would probarbly be the more ideal choice of the two then--partly because i don't even understand the text on AGoT cards having browsed thru them. (I'm sort of a newbie in games; Thunderstone is the only game i own and truly played--might be too much of a leap for AGoT at this point)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on the cards refers to specific times they can be played and usually refer to specific in game circumstances. Trying to understand them out of context is going to be difficult if you are not familiar with customizable card games.

FFG has a wonderful Flash tutorial up on their support page for the game which walks you through it. After watching that once or twice and having the rule book to refer to you should be able to make your way through a game without too much of a problem, and the strategy of the games starts to unfold before you pretty quickly.

I prefer my games easy to learn hard to master. I want to have a pretty good idea that I'm playing it right (not necessarily well) by my third or fourth run through. When I am on my third or fourth year and I'm still discovering optimum lines of strategy and developing my ability to adapt to the ever changing playing field that is an LCG, I know I've got a game I will enjoy for a long time to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kirckof
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find thing that makes difficult is all the keywords like Stalwart, Deadly, Stealth, and so on. Combine with the rules this can prove to be information overload to new players. It helps if you print out some keyword player hand outs for everyone playing.

Also like others have said before, I found that CCG players have an easier time learning the game, due similar mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.