Subject: Eek! ... an alien. Or: noise just behind you! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we broke out EFTAIOS, the Black Box, as one of the first Essen purchases to see the dim light of the gaming table (the truly first one was Zombie in my Pocket, which was an interesting Dr.Lucky variant).
Two rounds were played, one with 4 players (i.e. two on two), one with 3 players, in which two aliens made short work of the solitary human.
For both, we used the Galvani map (since I can't read, apparently, and took Galvani for Galilei, or maybe the printing is just too tiny to read in the aforementioned dim light).
At any rate, the first round was played without items and without variants and without potentially broken hatches, and it was an intense and highly suspenseful affair. All players rather simultaneously fell silent after the first turn, as they felt the well-justified paranoia creep up on them. There were no rules questions whatsoever, which is a great plus, and the deductions we all engaged in to trace the others' progress over the board from half-heard footfalls were not very time-consuming. As an alien player, I revealed rather early, actually very sure that I was just killing Human 1, but was left to grope about in the dark. The first human was killed by the other alien player around turn 9, and I caught up with the lone survivor soon after, I think in turn 11 or 12.
Interestingly, even before my reveal, without any real certainty, all the players would have (correctly) guessed the identity of each of us - quite an interesting moment. Were human players just more anxious, and alien players more relaxed? Something to watch out for, whether people show any "tells" according to their role...
The second round, we introduced items, and it just so happened that it was the aliens who were picking up one after the other, and the sole human was late to the show. He plodded his way across Galvani, really the wrong map for this set-up, but gamely made us pounce at a few shadows, before finally being caught. Prior to that came an avoidable mishap: Alien player says "J07", intending to announce were we heard a noise, and the human player flipped over his cards, assuming that he had been attacked on "J07". While both aliens knew more or less where he was, this, boys and girls, is why everyone should follow the rules to the letter and say "you hear a noise from sector J07" instead. Still, the game was valuable, because we realized that human and alien had been on the same spot, and if the human had had and used the gun item (I call it a pulse rifle, hmmm, hmmm, pulse rifle) that would have been IT for the alien who had just now felt so very secure as predator-top-of-the-foodchain...
So, everybody involved really liked it, we are eager to try more boards and especially try the game with more players. It was fun as we did it, but we never felt that the humans had much of a chance. Item cards change that, admittedly, but on Galvani the way to a hatch was so dauntingly far away that we felt it would have been more fair to play two humans against one alien. Time will tell. We will return to this game often, as it plays quickly and really delivers suspense for the buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to hear your review of the game. I got to play a few games of this at BGG.CON, as did some of my friends. Two of us ordered copies right away. Of all the "hidden move" games (Scottland Yard, Fury of Dracula, Nuns on the Run) this is my favorite, because it doesn't overstay it's welcome. It's short, it's quick, and the rules can be explained in under five minutes (under one minute, really).

The game does seem slightly skewed in favor of the aliens, so I would highly recommend that if you have an odd-number of players, that you make the odd-man out a human (That's after only a couple of plays).

As one of my friends pointed out, the humans were probably able to guess the aliens because the alien players are busy trying to track everyone's movement -- while the human players (being new to the game) probably only cared about their own position, or maybe anyone they thought might be close to them. Before the reveal, I think it would behoove the human players to at least *pretend* they are anxiously writing down the location of every last morsel... err player.

My copy is on it's way. I hope the rest of my group feels the same about this game as I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
Nice to hear your review of the game. I got to play a few games of this at BGG.CON, as did some of my friends. Two of us ordered copies right away. Of all the "hidden move" games (Scottland Yard, Fury of Dracula, Nuns on the Run) this is my favorite, because it doesn't overstay it's welcome. It's short, it's quick, and the rules can be explained in under five minutes (under one minute, really).

The game does seem slightly skewed in favor of the aliens, so I would highly recommend that if you have an odd-number of players, that you make the odd-man out a human (That's after only a couple of plays).

As one of my friends pointed out, the humans were probably able to guess the aliens because the alien players are busy trying to track everyone's movement -- while the human players (being new to the game) probably only cared about their own position, or maybe anyone they thought might be close to them. Before the reveal, I think it would behoove the human players to at least *pretend* they are anxiously writing down the location of every last morsel... err player.

My copy is on it's way. I hope the rest of my group feels the same about this game as I did.

Hello Tim

Thanks so much for your feedback!
I understand that you may feel that Aliens are "stronger": I suggest to try the game some more with your friends and tell us if you change your mind when you become more experienced!

Hear from you soon!

SR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey SR,

I just got my copy in the mail today (along with Indie Boards and Cards The Resistance. I'm hoping both will see playtime this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
Hey SR,

I just got my copy in the mail today (along with Indie Boards and Cards The Resistance. I'm hoping both will see playtime this weekend.
Cool, hope you enjoy the game.

Be sure to check www.eftaios.com for new maps and game modes, and post you own!

SR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa Ragione wrote:

Thanks so much for your feedback!
I understand that you may feel that Aliens are "stronger": I suggest to try the game some more with your friends and tell us if you change your mind when you become more experienced!

Hear from you soon!

SR
Tim played it again at my house this weekend. I was tied up in a game of Civilization, but when I wondered in to see how it was going, it seemed like the Humans got munched again. It seems to me playing the human is more exciting and really requires more finesse. I love this game, but in every one I've played the humans end up getting chomped.

I look forward to hearing Tim's thoughts on the game using items. While at BGG con, we only played intro games with folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb

has posted a miniature "first impression" of the game from our session at Anne's last night on his Tao of Gaming blog (http://taogaming.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/escape-from-the-al...) and SR already posted a comment on his blog. That's commitment to your product!

I really do want to write a session report, but I'm afraid I wasn't paying close enough attention after I got munched! Maybe I can use the expended maps to re-create the story. :)

Edit: I tried to take a video on my phone but it came out all garbled and useless...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riska wrote:
It seems to me playing the human is more exciting and really requires more finesse.
This says a lot about our personalities. I prefer being the muncher, to the munchie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
riska wrote:
It seems to me playing the human is more exciting and really requires more finesse.
This says a lot about our personalities. I prefer being the muncher, to the munchie.
Well, the Alien seems easier to me. But I want to successfully elude the Aliens. What a rush that would be!

I also want to add a Power Loader card as an item. But it can only be used in the sectors adjacent to a the escape hatch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually had a card like that for the defense item (used to kill the alien and prevent from dying) in one of the early prototypes

Also thanks to Brian for his post at Tao of Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
Hey SR,

Both tickle a similar itch! They are fast, very intense in quite different ways (total and constant interaction vs. very guarded interaction), but both count for me among the top discoveries of 2010. I can happily spend game's night just with these two, and I don't think that will change too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
tofarley wrote:
Hey SR,

Both tickle a similar itch! They are fast, very intense in quite different ways (total and constant interaction vs. very guarded interaction), but both count for me among the top discoveries of 2010. I can happily spend game's night just with these two, and I don't think that will change too soon.
I completely agree, and both games have been well-received in my gaming group. The Resistance has seen more play, but there have been a constant stream of grumbles that we need to play Escape from the Aliens again.

They are my top-two games of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: Merry ChristmasMicrobadge: I sneak board games into the house - Ho ho ho!!!Microbadge: Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!
tofarley wrote:
As one of my friends pointed out, the humans were probably able to guess the aliens because the alien players are busy trying to track everyone's movement -- while the human players (being new to the game) probably only cared about their own position, or maybe anyone they thought might be close to them. Before the reveal, I think it would behoove the human players to at least *pretend* they are anxiously writing down the location of every last morsel... err player. .
Totally agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls