Popular Tags: [View All]
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few plays I may not be in a place to make a definitive comment, but it seems to me that the deciding element to success or failure in Ravenloft is the percentage of White/Black tiles that are drawn, (Excluding bad rolling which always effects these type of games). When our group has drawn more black tiles, forcing more encounters which run from mild to devestating, we lose. If we draw significantly more white tiles, thus avoiding extra conflict and destruction, we win. I am curious if this has been anyone elses experience or observation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
After a few plays I may not be in a place to make a definitive comment, but it seems to me that the deciding element to success or failure in Ravenloft is the percentage of White/Black tiles that are drawn, (Excluding bad rolling which always effects these type of games). When our group has drawn more black tiles, forcing more encounters which run from mild to devestating, we lose. If we draw significantly more white tiles, thus avoiding extra conflict and destruction, we win. I am curious if this has been anyone elses experience or observation?

Use this and re-discover Castle Ravenloft:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/566063/encounter-monster-and...

There's also Barkam's system that is not bad, but personal taste, I prefer Lincoln's system.

Kudos to both for awesome ideas though!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say it's the black/white tile ratio, but rather how the Encounters work in general. They're just overall too punishing and unavoidable so it drains the enjoyment of the game and makes it more of a crap shoot (kind of like DungeonQuest (third edition)) rather than a whole lot of tactical thinking.

However, I have seen games go the wrong way because players didn't recognize the time limit that Encounters put on you. They dilly-dally too much and too long and then they lose. The game makes you think you can go along fairly well, since there are no obvious threats on the board, but then an Encounter pops up and kills the whole game.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what XP is for. Negating horrible Encounter Cards.

I agree with the parent. Lots of white=walk in the park. Lots of Black=pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.