Subject: looking for something new rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hi everybody
we have been playing pandemic several times now and i've to say it's really amazing! We were looking for something new tough and wondering around i noticed that there are other expansions than the original one (On the Brink): threat level six and end day.
I tried to understand something more about them but i'm a bit lost.Has anybody tried them and compared? are they balanced? as a first expansion what would you suggest?

Thanks for you advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Um i think there is only one official expansion On the Brink. The other ones you mention are user created. Buy on the Brink as it adds a great deal to the game. See here for full details:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/745/pandemic-on-the-brink...

While your waiting for it to arrive download the rest.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wow ! that is a FAST reply
yes i know they are not official but if the system is balanced and the cards look nice there isn't such a big difference.
i just didn't understand what i should wait for and what i should download .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if they are balanced. Simply go through the variants forum and the files forum. There are lots of complete user created expansions. Print and play.

This said I have the official expansion On the Brink and it is fantastic.

Bottom line is you have some great Pandemic play ahead of you!

Ps: If you go down the user created route do post your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OTB expansion adds much more depth to the game, while at the same time making gameplay more consistent. There will not be any "easy" games any more. It will be hard, and harder, if you play with the two new non-traitor variants included within. Best of all, however, is that the game's depth skyrockets with new choices, options, roles, and special powers. I wouldn't play without it any more. It's one of the best expansions available for any game.

If you are looking for other coop challenges, try Ghost Stories with its expansion White Moon, another great combo-set that will lead to many hours of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't own the OTB expansion, I'd order that! Just that alone adds so much variety to the game!

As for the other two fanmade expansions through Arts Cow, I ordered both of them. They offer so many possibilities, it's insane. I really enjoy playing with them. The only complaint I have with them is that the cards are slightly bigger than the original Pandemic cards making it slightly difficult to shuffle, but tolerable. Also, the facing of the cards is much smoother, so you can physically see the difference the difference between a Pandemic card and the Arts Cow cards, but again, it's tolerable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwommy wrote:
The only complaint I have with them is that the cards are slightly bigger than the original Pandemic cards making it slightly difficult to shuffle, but tolerable.

You could put all cards in transparent sleeves the size of the bigger cards. This would level the size difference and make them feel the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Dimailig
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second everyone else's support for ON THE BRINK. That expansion adds so much more, you won't even know what to try. Options available:
> Bioterrorist
> 5 player Game
> Virulent Strain
> Mutation Challenge

Better to jump on this official one rather than the others out there. On the other hand, once you use all these up, then you can check those unofficial ones. But the stuff in ON THE BRINK should be more than a handful!

ENJOY!
G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well thanks for the advices. Just one thing make me think twice: the difference in price. OTB is prety expensive compared to the other....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking to go cheaper, you may want to start with the first Artscow expansion (threat level 6 http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/415257/the-warp-expansion-fo...)

OTB comes with a fifth cube set (purple) and a dozen new pawns to expand out the roles. It also comes with petri dishes to store the various components. Which all add to its expense.

The one fan made expansion on artscow (End Day - http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/459146/pandemic-end-day-cust... ) actually makes use of these components, so, without OTB, you may find some of those elements difficult to use.

I put all the cards from the two official games and both fan expansions into the clear card sleaves, and it is difficult to tell the Artscow cards from the official ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three of those expansions, and I love them. On the Brink is certainly a must- and yes, you'd need it to make full use of the End Day expansion. I think End Day is my favorite though. I love the roles, the research station expansion, and the zombie challenge is brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.