United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgame Babylon gives the In Depth treatment to the wonderful game Race For The Galaxy. And I'll just say it - we did it right by getting Race designer Tom Lehmann, Developer/Art Director Wei-Hwa Huang, Playtester Trisha Lantznester, and Race For The Galaxy Junkies Chris Johnson and Stephanie Kelleher. They joined us on the first night of Gateway 2010 to discuss the game.

And we talk for nearly two hours...not strictly following the In Depth format but who cares when the stories are this fun? We get through the history, design, production, rules, strategy and electronic implementation of the game. This is certainly one of my favorite BGB shows and I hope you will find it enjoyable.

www.boardgamebabylon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great topic, and great podcast!

I have a comment on the observation that Race is a "destructive game" (in the sense that you are destroying your hand.)

Effectively, a hand is a tree of options (a forest of options, even.) You cannot move forward along one branch of the tree without giving up on a multitude of other options. It's a lot like real life, where every choice we make means giving up on a multitude of other choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! I've been really looking forward to this episode.

Edit: I love the episode, especially the "dice for the galaxy" preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Moreno
United States
Ridgewood
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was enthtralled the entire time. Thanks so much for this insightful interview.Great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. It was a lot of fun to record and it is being very aggressively downloaded.

@Brosius - I also thought the 'destructive' comment was interesting but wondered if it was appropriate. There are a lot of games where cards can be used in a variety of ways. Race just does that cleanly by making every card's second option to use it as money. In all those games, you lose some options but are they destroyed? I don't think of it that way in Pandemic (darn, throwing away all those plane tickets just to stop a disease?) or 1960: Making of a President, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Great episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmb
Re: Destruction

Somewhere, I've made the comment that Dominion is a game about which cards to get and Race is a game about which cards to get rid of. There are opportunity costs involved in both models: In Dominion, you forewent buying a different card than the one you actually bought; in Race, you forewent the possibility of playing any of the cards you discarded.

In Dominion, the card is always there next turn, but in Race it's gone forever. Race is also more direct / explicit because you actually hold the next-best alternative in your hands before passing it over, rather than passing it over as a potential but non-actual choice. Because of this, the decisions feel more costly than they do in a game like Dominion.

I really like this about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Fantastic episode, I really enjoyed it! The crazy thing is, I never even realized that every card in Race is either a planet or development until Stephanie said so in the start of her rules explanation. Of course that's right!

I liked the "beginner San Juan" suggestion of taking out the purple buildings, and may even try that sometime.

I remember waiting anxiously for Tom Lehmann' CCG Duel for the Stars when we heard about it in The Game Cabinet days (can't find the source just now). Very fun to hear the story of the development from that original idea, merged with the Puerto Rico card game.

Also very nice to hear about Jay Tummelson's contributions as a producer, including his commitment to the science fiction theme. Tom was very magnanimous in his stories about the others that helped or collaborated with (Jay, Richard Borg, etc.).

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.