Subject: M'44 solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Strictly speaking, can M'44 be played solitaire?It's more or less just like playing chess, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
Strictly speaking, can M'44 be played solitaire?It's more or less just like playing chess, isn't it?

There are lots of ways to play Memoir '44 solo. Most of them involve just playing one side the best you can and then switching!

The best way I've found to play solo is on Memoir '44 Online against Johnny, the Days of Wonder AI! In November you'll be able to do the same!!! Check the link below if you haven't heard much about the new Memoir '44 Online game that's coming out...
http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/thread/?frm_id=71
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
any available online solo rules? i'm considering getting this game for solo play sometimes as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
The best way I've found to play solo is on Memoir '44 Online against Johnny, the Days of Wonder AI!

Why does BGG have a wishlist but not a HITLIST!!!!!angry, Yes, I'm that jealous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
The Great Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased M'44 a year ago hoping to play it solo. The cards help to make the enemy actions unpredictable, but the cards don't control enemy movement. The enemy movment is is still controlled by you which allows for biases to creep in. It's just not fun and I gave up playing the game solo.

If you want to try a good solo system, there's a company called Two Hour Wargames.(check them out on BGG) The rules are for use with miniatures, but it's a good fun, not overly complicated solo system. You can try out the core rules for free at their website. The core rules are good enough for man to man combat. It's fun. I was a boardgamer until I found their rules and now all I play are miniatures. Hope this helps.

Kurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesmckane wrote:
Quote:
The best way I've found to play solo is on Memoir '44 Online against Johnny, the Days of Wonder AI!

Why does BGG have a wishlist but not a HITLIST!!!!!angry, Yes, I'm that jealous.

laughlaugh It's true, I haven't seen the Hitlist button around!

In mid-November you'll be able to experience the excitement of a solo game against Johnny as well!! It's a lot of fun and you can play each battle so quickly...

Until November 15th or so, I'll have to watch my back in case you find that Hitlist button! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic has been discussed at some length in the the C&C: Ancients forum. I suggest having a look over there for quite a few suggestions that are also applicable to Memoir. Ultimately you will have to do at least some 'thinking' for both sides. There are definitely better games if you only ever play solo. The solo ideas discussed in these forums allow you to get some gameplay in when alone and to try out ideas in preparation for a proper game - but ultimately 2 player (or more for Overlord) is the way to play this game.

As for the electronic versions that are either available or incoming - I'm going to stick my neck out (and get it chopped off no doubt) and say that I just don't get it. I know that lots of people play on Vassal and that an online version of Memoir is coming but if I want to play on a computer I'll play a computer game. The reason I play board games is to enjoy a kinesthetic F2F game. I don't get this from computer based play either against an AI or an online opponent. Surely there are better WWII computer games than Memoir? Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm sorry if bringing this up does that.

Ultimately I would definitely recommend Memoir for anyone who enjoys a light, war themed 2 (- 8 with Overlord) player game. Solo will be a big compromise (but still enjoyable) - unless you find the online options appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahler wrote:
As for the electronic versions that are either available or incoming - I'm going to stick my neck out (and get it chopped off no doubt) and say that I just don't get it. I know that lots of people play on Vassal and that an online version of Memoir is coming but if I want to play on a computer I'll play a computer game. The reason I play board games is to enjoy a kinesthetic F2F game. I don't get this from computer based play either against an AI or an online opponent. Surely there are better WWII computer games than Memoir? Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm sorry if bringing this up does that.

To each his own. I know that when I first heard about the idea of a computer version of Memoir '44 I wasn't all that sure about playing my all-time favorite board game on the computer either. After playing it I have to say that DoW has done a remarkable job of making it feel like the board game, but like you said it does (by necessity) lose some of the kinesthetic F2F elements.

There is a time for the table-top version and I've found that I enjoy the computer version as well. I understand that it won't be for everyone, so enjoy your gaming experience and if you ever decide to give Memoir '44 Online a try, drop me a note and I'll be happy to show you the ropes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one have enjoyed playing M44 solo - there are so many scenarios and interesting rules and mechanics in the expansions, that it's fun to give them a spin solo and see how they work, which side seems to have the advantage, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
what about base game solo?tell me more--any special rules? or can i read it from some source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly can play it solitaire. I recommend just playing both sides, alternating turns. For me, I've found that since I know how I'm going to be playing, I really get stronger at analyzing each specific scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two ways to do it:

**************** Play both sides **************
1. Sit on allies side:
Play a card, make "best" move/battle for allies. Draw card - but don't look at it.

2. Walk around to other side of table and "forget" the Allies hand

3. Sit on Axis side:
Repeat step one for the Axis.

4. Walk around to other side of table and "forget" the Axis hand

etc... the only card that causes a problem is Ambush. When this happens, just "rewind" the action to the point you would have used the ambush if you were that player.

**************** Play against the game ************
Pick a scenario that has a clear advantage for one side or the other, you can do that by reading battle reports on DOW site.

For example, Allies have huge advantage in Arnhem Bridge. So play the Axis. Sit on the Axis side and play their side normally. When it is the Allies turn, draw a card from the top of the deck (don't have a hand for the Allies) and execute that card (make optimum move for the Allies - no kid gloves If Axis wins... you win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play both sides to win, and don't treat either side as YOURS.

The cards focus your attention and allow you to compartmentalise info. Just play the most logical card for each side. It becomes second nature after a couple of plays.

Solo Overlord format is superb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.