Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realise there's a veritable arms race in box sizes, but it really irks me when a game is dumped into a box that's too large to fit on any of my normal-game-box-sized shelves.

I'm curious. What drove this?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's in case the fire spreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a few standard box size, and apparently it wouldn't fit in their smaller one, so they went for this size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
"It was supposed to be a smaller sized box, but we were let down by the box production company. Nothing to do with us, of course." whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
"It was supposed to be a smaller sized box, but we were let down by the box production company. Nothing to do with us, of course." whistle
TO be fair, that last minute change of date of the Essen fair really stuffed them up and gave no room to sort out little problems whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
JoffW wrote:
TO be fair, that last minute change of date of the Essen fair really stuffed them up and gave no room to sort out little problems whistle

Well, the last minute change from 2009 to 2010 Essen for 1860 certainly caused some confusion.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surya wrote:
They have a few standard box size, and apparently it wouldn't fit in their smaller one, so they went for this size.

Maybe they should have swapped boxes with The Phantom League (which came in too small a box) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the entire pre-order problematic to blame.
Once you have accepted pre-orders you have no way of channeling expenses back to those customers. So the only reasonable way would be to cut cost. And each additional fold on a map increases the expenses, so with a larger map, it would almost certainly mean higher expenses - unless you find a solution like this.

Which I am perfectly happy with.
Verona has an even larger box, so Great Fire doesn't look entirely out of place in my mewly increased collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Denning
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Mids
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is the same size as several other games I bought at Essen and many games I already have on my shelves.
Maybe some guys have small shelves ;-)
Gamers need big shelves!!

Personally I am very happy with the box appearance and size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.