badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Is calling someone "Un-American"
... also Un-American
... or is it really -- very American?
      30 answers
Poll created by sikeospi

"I think it's Un-American what Juan Williams said." -- Congressman Keith Ellison, October 22, 2010
Free speech is Un-American?

"So, here's one for Mr. (Brian) Kilmeade, not every Un-American bastard is Brian Kilmeade, but all Brian Kilmeades are Un-American bastards." -- Keith Olbermann, MSNBC commentator, October 15, 2010
I thought Keith Olbermann was an Edward R. Murrow fan, but it sounds to me like he would rather have his very own House Un-American Activities Committee.

"Because I think that their, their level of bigotry is so Un-American... Hey, how about that McDonald's two blocks from Ground Zero, Bill? That's killed, that's killed more people than the nineteen hijackers." -- Michael Moore, film-maker and health food advocate, September 11, 2010 anniversary message
"That's so Un-American." -- Joy Behar, View co-host in her recent mosque discussion with Bill O'Reilly, October 14, 2010
I guess having certain buildings in Manhattan is very Un-American. Why can't they just build a combination mosque-fast food restaurant and tick off everybody then Mayor Bloomberg wouldn't know what to do.

"This coming election now looks to be a process very different. What it promises to be is a huge number of Americans withdrawing their confidence in the ability of us to work together, to have faith in each other, to build a common community. It's headed towards something -- well something quite Un-American, a statement that we're not all in this together." -- Chris Matthews, MSNBC commentator, October 14, 2010
I guess too much independence can be considered Un-American.

"Banning illegal immigrants from public colleges... That is Un-American." -- Maureen Downey, reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, October 13, 2010
"(Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law) is unacceptable and Un-American." -- Joe Scarborough, MSNBC commentator
"Any law (such as Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law) ... is Un-American." -- LA Board of Education President Monica García
Apparently the rule of law is very Un-American.

"The Australian-British-continental model of politicized media that Murdoch has applied at Fox is Un-American..." -- Slate.com editor-in-chief Jacob Weisberg who once diagnosed President George W. Bush with a learning disability.
"There's another interesting aspect to O'Reilly's anti-newspaper diatribe. During this horrid economic cycle, when millions of Americans are out of jobs and terrified about their future employment prospects, rooting for American businesses to go under seems way out of touch to me, especially for a commentator who's constantly talking about sticking up for regular 'folks.' It kind of sounds, well, Un-American." -- Mike Shields, writer for MediaWeek magazine
I guess having opinions not approved by certain people or not supporting failing businesses is very Un-American.

"(Criticizing President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize win) makes the harsh comments from Michael Steele, from Rush Limbaugh, the rest, seem even more extreme and, as some would argue, Un-American." -- MSNBC's David Shuster
Criticizing the winning of awards for doing ... nothing. This is now Un-American?

"... penalization through taxation is 'inherently Un-American' because it discourages aspiration... Isn't there something kind of inherently Un-American about the more money you make, the more money we're going to take from you?" -- Trish Regan, CNBC anchor
"(President Obama's warning 'that those who seek reward do not take reckless risks') makes me a little nervous and some of the people on the (trading) floor express this -- whether it was the end of the last administration or the current administration, you know to really understand what's wrong and what needs to be right -- that statement’s very Un-American. You know, why should the government think they know the magic blend of risk and reward?" -- Rick Santelli, CNBC commentator
Greed and envy seem to be either very American or very Un-American. I guess it just depends.

"Drowning out opposing views is simply Un-American." -- USA Today editorial by Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer. Congressman Hoyer is also listed as having supported the organization Health Care For America Now which states that, "(The opposition's) side will be smaller, but noisier. You must bring enough people to -- drown them out."
"Drowning out" can be sometimes be very Un-American, but I guess it really depends upon the situation.

"(Republicans will) even take a stand that's Un-American... It's Un-American to hold anyone indefinitely without trial." -- Congressman Jim Moran. Does this mean that anyone who disagrees with this policy, such as the family of Daniel Pearl, is to be deemed Un-American? This from a congressman who just accused his election opponent, a 24-year military veteran, as being a stealth candidate who had never served or performed any kind of public service?
Hmm, maybe I should strive to be Un-Un-American or an Un-Un-Un-American. I need to check my scorecard...

"The choice of 'Un-American' is a typical Sarah Palin, divisive thing to say." -- Joan Walsh, editor-in-chief of Salon on April 15, 2010
"The climate right now is that Republicans use everything they can to undermine and delegitimize this President. And it's actually Un-American. It's traitorous in my opinion." -- Joan Walsh, editor-in-chief of Salon on December 30, 2009
Claiming that a person is Un-American when you previously stated that calling someone Un-American is "Un-American" or even traitorous? Wow, this is complicated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need an option for "neither." It's a citizenship neutral insult (Is that even an insult anymore?), as it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Being "hypocritical"
Is only ok when my side does it
Is only ok when the other guy does it first
      14 answers
Poll created by mdp4828
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me guess everyone on your list is a liberal right?

So your point is either:

A. Liberals are bad. Conservatives don't call people Un-American. Seems pretty unlikely.

B. Liberals are bad. Of course conservatives say stuff like that too but I'll ignore that.

C. ?

Don't you ever get sick of partisan crap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
define un-American first.

(I do not believe that there exists such a thing as American or un-American.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The United States needs a divorce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
The United States needs a divorce.

Grounds: irreconcilable differences. The other side can have custody of the kids but I want the tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myopia wrote:
Don't you ever get sick of partisan crap?

Do zombies get sick of brains?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Really, where do the righties get all of this hyper slanted thread fodder? I stopped reading when it was obvious that ALL of the quotes were from liberals. I might have answered the poll had not been such a STUPID hatchet job.
EDIT: or been funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Un-American is the new Mother Fucker. I however am still partial to Mother Fucker. But I'm a dirty Liberal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
"I think it's Un-American what Juan Williams said." -- Congressman Keith Ellison, October 22, 2010

All of your complaints are a bit silly, but this one is particularly silly since Ellison didn't criticize the act of speaking freely itself, but rather what was said in the individual instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Pointing out hypocrisy from the other side but never from my side
Is only ok because while it is NOT okay for your side to be hypocritical, it is okay for my side to be hypocritical
Is only ok because my side is never hypocritical
      5 answers
Poll created by Sky Knight X
mdp4828 wrote:
Poll
Being "hypocritical"
Is only ok when my side does it
Is only ok when the other guy does it first
      14 answers
Poll created by mdp4828

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
define un-American first.

(I do not believe that there exists such a thing as American or un-American.)

The best comment so far. Just exactly what does "un-American" mean, or supposed to mean? Isn't saying what you believe/think without fear of government retribution totally American?

My opinion is that it's just one of those ill-defined buzz words that people in politics use to paint others in a good/bad light, and that we, the public, regularly swallow - from both sides - without demanding that the speaker really define exactly what they mean.

"un-American" - is that supposed to mean anti-American? Or, "he says/does things no "good" American does", or "I just disagree with him, so I'll stick this bad label on him so I'll feel better/morally superior?"
"Bi-partisan" - "He votes with the other party more than his party?" or "He agrees with me?"

As far as I'm concerned, it means absolutely nothing except that the person who's saying it - from what ever faction, left, right, center, or whatever - just can't think of anything better to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having "sides" is un-American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

That is such an un-American thing to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
quozl wrote:

...says a man who won't even display his American flag badge. Communist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
sikeospi wrote:

All of your complaints are a bit silly, but this one is particularly silly since Ellison didn't criticize the act of speaking freely itself, but rather what was said in the individual instance.

No true Canadian would say such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
quozl wrote:

...says a man who won't even display his American flag badge. Communist.

It's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Un-American is a good description of a congressman who states his sole purpose is to see that the President of the United States fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Waving the Bloody Shirt- in today's parlance, calling someone 'Un-American', is almost as old as the Republic itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waving_the_bloody_shirt

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Un-American is a good description of a congressman who states his sole purpose is to see that the President of the United States fails.

Or a President who runs around the country fund-raising for others instead of staying in DC and doing his job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Or a President who runs around the country fund-raising for others instead of staying in DC and doing his job.

This is certainly an enlightened view! I suppose this is the first time in American history that this has happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
bobby_5150 wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

This is certainly an enlightened view! I suppose this is the first time in American history that this has happened.

Kettles have no sense of humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
49xjohn wrote:
bobby_5150 wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Kettles have no sense of humor.

Neither do turtles. Told jokes to one for seven hours the other day, not even a smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
Neither do turtles. Told jokes to one for seven hours the other day, not even a smile.

That was a decoy. The real turtle was out fighting crime with his ninja brothers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.