United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
do you look at the tomb cards you put down at the beginning to fill the rooms? if not, why do you need several players to do it?

maximum number of characters per party?

why monsters that don't have special abilities sometimes have values different than attack? like skeletons have skills... what do they need that for?

in a battle, each character and monster in a group must attack once before being able to attack again? or can you keep attacking with one and keep the others in the rearguard?

thanks,
M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
do you look at the tomb cards you put down at the beginning to fill the rooms? if not, why do you need several players to do it?

Yes, but some players don't like this feature and have resorted to random setup.
The idea is for each player to have a rough idea of what dangers and treasures are in the crypts. You are not required to remember all the cards you lay out, but depending on what cards you draw, you might want to try and make a room full of treasures and put all the nasty monsters and traps in a single room or two. Sometimes you can pull it off and really get a good head start, other times you get confused, mix up the rooms and end up raiding the wrong room and killing your party. Your friends are going to laugh a long time at you, as they realize you actually dug your own grave. laugh
There are many other ways to be creative when seeding the crypts. But as I said, don't expect to remember every card you put out. I can usually only remember the contents of a few rooms. Plus some other player might put cards in one of "your" rooms too. Dare you go for the magnificent sword you know is there? There might be a trap too...
I find the seeding of the crypts very fun and thematic, but you will also find some people who just don't "get it".
marnaudo wrote:

maximum number of characters per party?

5 - this information is hidden in the glossary, first entry.
marnaudo wrote:

why monsters that don't have special abilities sometimes have values different than attack? like skeletons have skills... what do they need that for?

Some spells allow a player to recruit a monster as if it was a hero. Some monsters get equipment when revealed, and some of that requires certain traits.
marnaudo wrote:

in a battle, each character and monster in a group must attack once before being able to attack again? or can you keep attacking with one and keep the others in the rearguard?

One attack each. As per the rules:
"Battle Actions. Beginning with the CM, the CM and the Raiding Player take turns performing
Battle Actions until all living Monsters and Adventuring Party members have acted. Each
Monster and each Adventuring Party member may act once per combat Round."

Have fun. Tomb is a good game, but most people find they need to make house rules to make it fit their tastes.
Try playing it a couple of times and then return here to look for variant ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q] "Battle Actions. Beginning with the CM, the CM and the Raiding Player take turns performing
Battle Actions until all living Monsters and Adventuring Party members have acted. Each
Monster and each Adventuring Party member may act once per combat Round." [/q]

it is the "may" that got me confused and got me the idea that a character can hit several times in a row. So just to clarify, imagine a battle involving Cleric (C) and Rogue (R) versus Zombie (Z) and Skeleton (S).

Legal back and forth battles would be
CZRS

CSRZ

RZCS

RSCZ

but not

RZRZ

CRCR

correct?
I would need to use all the other three characters in the battle before I get back to use a specific one, right?

Also battle is IGO with one, UGO with one, not IGO with all of mine then UGO with all of yours, right?

thank you; can't wait to try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all monsters and heroes get one attack/action and have to wait until all others have had one attack/action before being able to do anything again.
Also note the Cryptmaster is the first to take an action, then it alternates between raiding player and Cryptmaster.
If the aiding player has 5 heroes and is facing 2 monsters it would go like this:
Monster 1
Hero 1
Monster 2
Hero 2
Hero 3
Hero 4
Hero 5

And if anything is left on both sides, you start over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the punching bag, can it always be the same character if the raider prefers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.