Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zac Paris
United States
Beulah
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
You remember Monopoly, right? Everyone remembers Monopoly. Whenever you were bored, you would look in the closet for something to do, and the first thing you would see is the Monopoly box. Somehow, no matter how many 4-hour games you've played, no matter how many times you quit at 1:00 AM the following day, you would end up playing it. It was a tradition.

Well, now, after what seems like billions of iterations, including Dog-opoly, NFL-opoly, Cat-in-the-Hat-opoly, there was a Star Wars one. And after about four of those, and once episode 3 came out, finally we got Star Wars Monopoly: The Saga Edition. No matter how many editions they already owned, all hardcore Star Wars fans had to have this game.

So what does this game bring that the original 1935 game didn't? Well, if you haven't seen a Star Wars movie, not too much. For the rest of the world, here's the scoop:

Tokens: Eight awesome huge metal tokens, all representing Star Wars characters. You have Darth Maul, General Grievous, Yoda, Luke and Leia Skywalker, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi and the Emperor.

Board: The new board features 36 out of all 40 spaces redone with Star Wars themed properties and functions, such as Tatooine, Hoth, Dagoba, Coruscant on Park Place and Boardwalk, Bounty Hunter on the $75 Luxury Tax, and Jedi and Sith spaces in place of Community Chest and Chance. Speaking of which...

Jedi and Sith Cards: All of the Chance and Community Chest cards are redone with movie-related actions, such as winning podrace bets and having the Emperor come visit your town. In addition, each card has a snapshot of a scene from a movie, and a roman numeral label for which movie it is from.

New Game Mode: I've never played it, but apparently the rulebook contains a new game mode which has to do with Jedi vs. Sith or something. Again, never tried it, so I won't base score on it too much.

So, as you can see, they did everything they could to make the game as Star Wars related as possible. In my opinion, they did a good job. The tokens were well-crafted and seem very durable. (However, I haven't chucked game components at a wall, as a certain Tom Vasal has...whistle)

But as far as Monopoly goes, it seems very much the same, and doesn't need to be bought unless: A; you don't have a Monopoly game yet, or, B; you're a die-hard Star Wars fan who simply needs this item.

I don't know the exact cost, (my dad got it as a gift a couple years ago,) so I can't compare it to other games. But if you just want a game of Monopoly, and you can find a cheaper one, go with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original trilogy Star Wars monopoly, and that's all I need. As long as I get to be Chewbacca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.