Popular Tags: [View All]
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing stages which has both asphalt and snow, if a turn moves the car from asphalt to snow or vice versa, I would like to clarify the official ruling of how to apply when the appropriate number of hazards will cause loss of control.

eg, using asphalt tyres, going from asphalt to snow roads, if a player stops just before the snow with 2 hazards showing, I assume that player will not suffer a loss of control. However, if player then moves the car forward into the snow, even with a normal 'good' roll, does an automatic loss of control occur as 2 hazards are now showing this turn and car is on a snow road with asphalt tyres?

Conversely, if travelling with asphalt from snow road with 1 hazard and the 2nd hazard only appears after player moves car to asphalt, will that be 'ok' ie player now require a 3rd hazard to lose control since car is on the asphalt?

This is the way we played as the opposite way to interpret the rules would be to only trigger a loss of control in the snow if both hazards were rolled whilst on snow? This would seem open to abuse as you could have 2 hazards on road and then 1 on snow and still be in control?

Clarification would be great! thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it would take a 3rd hazard to lose control in the snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Bungartz
Germany
Bornheim
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say if you enter snow with asphalt Tyres and have 2 /!\ you lost control on the first snow space.
If you have snow tires, you can not enter a asphalt spaces if you have used more than one white die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magicm wrote:
I would say if you enter snow with asphalt Tyres and have 2 /!\ you lost control on the first snow space.
If you have snow tires, you can not enter a asphalt spaces if you have used more than one white die.

I am of this opinion but I see that René Christensen proves that both opinions do exist, as it did in our group. Would be nice for designer to comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that you should always be penalised if you have 2 hazards and have spent any of your current movement on snow in a 'time attack' dice roll.

For 'normal' movement:

i) When leaving asphalt to get on to snow (as above) if you already have 2 hazards you should be deemed to immediately lose control (so the rational choice would be to end your current movement on the asphalt)

ii) However, when leaving the last snow space, if you have only accumulated zero or 1 hazard by the individual rolling of the dice, then you should use the '3 hazards and you lose control rule' (since you know that you did not accumulate 2 of them on the snow).

I know that i & ii are slightly at odds but i look at this question from the point of view that you know that you have exceeded your limits when you enter snow, but that you know that you haven't exceeded your limits when you leave snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JPWatts wrote:
I would suggest that you should always be penalised if you have 2 hazards and have spent any of your current movement on snow in a 'time attack' dice roll.

For 'normal' movement:

i) When leaving asphalt to get on to snow (as above) if you already have 2 hazards you should be deemed to immediately lose control (so the rational choice would be to end your current movement on the asphalt)

ii) However, when leaving the last snow space, if you have only accumulated zero or 1 hazard by the individual rolling of the dice, then you should use the '3 hazards and you lose control rule' (since you know that you did not accumulate 2 of them on the snow).

I know that i & ii are slightly at odds but i look at this question from the point of view that you know that you have exceeded your limits when you enter snow, but that you know that you haven't exceeded your limits when you leave snow.

Thanks, not at odds at all as this is what our group played it at, ie the rule is actively checked all the time. That's the way we will play it until we hear anything different from the designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play on mixed road I recommend to put the dice you want to throw on board spaces to have a better view

Which tires are on your MRC ?

Tarmac tires : for 2 dice with hazard on snow spaces you loose the control.
That means you can have 1 hazard on tarmac, and one on snow without loss of control.
But one die with hazard on snow and 2 dice with hazard on tarmc = loss of control.

Snow tires : you can't put just one white dice on tarmac during your turn. You can put 2 Gas dice on tarmac, or one on tarmac the other one on snow

I hope it more clear for you now. Have a good night !

jcb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the official ruling, that's made it much clearer and it's something that will often happen so it was worth clarifying.

But am I right in assuming that you meant to write:
Snow Tyres : You can't put more than one white die on tarmac during your turn. You can put 2 dice on snow, or one on tarmac the other one on snow.
Or am i still wrong?

Apologies for my own take on what should happen but do feel free to use my suggestion.....shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcbouvier wrote:
When you play on mixed road I recommend to put the dice you want to throw on board spaces to have a better view

Which tires are on your MRC ?

Tarmac tires : for 2 dice with hazard on snow spaces you loose the control.
That means you can have 1 hazard on tarmac, and one on snow without loss of control.
But one die with hazard on snow and 2 dice with hazard on tarmc = loss of control.

Snow tires : you can't put just one white dice on tarmac during your turn. You can put 2 Gas dice on tarmac, or one on tarmac the other one on snow

I hope it more clear for you now. Have a good night !

jcb

Thanks for your views. Sorry I am a bit confused which section you are applying these rules to:

Tarmac tires: Going from tarmac to snow- you can have 1 hazard on tarmac and then 1 on snow without loss of control.

And yet,

Tarmac tires: Going from snow to tarmac-you can have 1 hazard on snow and if you get 2 more hazards on tarmac, you lose control?

So in 1st situation, you ignore the 1st hazard from tarmac when you roll the 2nd hazard in the snow but in 2nd situation, you take into account the 1st hazard in snow when you later roll 2 more hazards in tarmac?

I had thought with other posters above, the latter rule is in keeping with what we thought but the former rule seems to contradict this?

As for Snow tires, I thought it meant only a single gas dice, even on tarmac?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great to know the official ruling. Makes sense to me. And yes snow tires, even on tarmac, only get a single gas die. Special snow only compound of tires would be slower on all surfaces compared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
After I have tried to explain to Chooi, here is the result in good english, by Chooi !

Tarmac tires: Loss of control if on snow, 2 Hazards on snow itself only or everywhere, 3 hazards in total.

Snow Tires: 2 Gas on snow and 1 Gas on Tarmac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.