Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have a copy of this game but have never played it, ever.

I was thinking of trying to get a group of friends together for a game-night to play this for the first time.

Most of them, I play poker or other card games with, some are more board game compliant.

How easy would this game be to learn and teach to a bunch of Arkham newbies, including myself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
One person needs to know the game really well. At that point, any number of newbies can learn it. However, if you attempt to teach this while you learn yourself, it will be an utter failure. The game will take forever and they will lose interest while you fumble through the rulebook.

It is great as a solo game and you can play through it a couple times to get the feel. Once you have decent handle on it, let them all play as you guide them through it all.

There is a flowchart I can email you (if yousend me a private message with your address) that can help you learn it as well as be a great reference to keep the game moving your first time with all them.

Arkham Horror Flowchart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting in at least one or two solo plays with multiple investigators first, just to get some first hand experience with the rules. It's VERY important to follow the sequence of phases in the game to avoid rules problems. It's really not that difficult to catch on to, but there are a lot of rules and situations that can come up. That being said, it is a cooperative game, so the new people can learn as they go. If your group is mostly new/non-gamers, expect a LONG game too. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might seem daunting at first, and it is more involved than many games. However, it is worth it.

I would learn it before you try to teach it to a group...it is not conducive to teaching a group without prior knowledge. I would suggest going through the instruction book, then checking out a play-through video a couple of times. Then go through a game solo.

Keep the book open near you, and refer to the phases. The #1 problem people run into is skipping through or rushing a phase of a turn. You will get mixed up if you don't complete the whole phase. If you realize you have been doing something incorrectly, just continue with the game doing it correctly.

On about the second or third game, it will really start to click. When you get to the point where you are less worried about the rules, and you can start immersing yourself in the story, it will become great. Don't get discouraged!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
One person needs to know the game really well. At that point, any number of newbies can learn it. However, if you attempt to teach this while you learn yourself, it will be an utter failure. The gae will take forever and they will lose interest while you fumble through the rulebook.

It is great as a solo game and you can play through it a couple times to get the feel. Once you have decent handle on it, let them all play as you guide them through it all.

This is superb advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one note:
(This is the only point I've found difficult)

Closing gates usually occurs in the Arkham Enconters phase, after Movement.
However, if you come from the Other Worlds you can close the gate without having to fight monsters on that gate (in fact skipping the Arkham Movement phase).

Playing one or two games with a single investigator may be useful as well. It is fastest and you will learn a lot about the endgame (that is hopelessly losing!). You will be ok with the game when you find that losing is natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Skeels
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldarest wrote:
Just one note:
Closing gates usually occurs in the Arkham Enconters phase, after Movement.
However, if you come from the Other Worlds you can close the gate without having to fight monsters on that gate (in fact skipping the Arkham Movement phase).

That's interesting... if you close the gate with a monster (not on your movement phase) than you pretty much get an extra turn to close gate and then evade the monster next turn. If you had to close the gate next turn it would take twice as long.

Big discrepancy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
Leitmotiv wrote:
Big discrepancy!

I don't think it's that big. You move through the gate during the movement phase, then attempt to close it during the Arkham Encounters phase. The only difference is that you don't have to fight or evade monsters on the turn that you come through. Cheers!

(Edit: typo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.