Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I regularly visit the same boardgame pages in BGG.

For this I have a Favorites folder in Internet Explorer, which is now becoming crammed with a whole load of BGG games

It would be nice if these could be included as either 'Browse by My Favorite Games', or some other favorite, maybe placed in my Profile, so I can visit any one of my favorite games at the click of a mouse button.

Very much like the feature of 'Watch This Item' in eBay. Maybe each game page could also include an add to 'Favorites' button on it too, for adding new Favorites.

Thanks,
Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the bottom of each game page is a "Notify me of new content" checkbox. You then get an "Updated Games" geek message with links to the new content. Is this what you want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah not exactly,

I do get notified when new content is added. But I frequently visit a lot of individual game pages daily. Either to download player aids, look at pictures, read reviews, add session reports etc, etc.

Rather than using QuickSearch for each individual game it would be easier if I could navigate straight to my favorite games through a BGG feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how it will affect the Hot Games list. After all it's just a hit list of pages everyone's visited anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

After tonights gaming session I updated 3 different 'games played'.

If I'd had to type in a search and scroll through for each game it'd have taken me a bit to find the game and update the games played. I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Luckily I have them all in favorites in internet explorer and can more or less jump straight to the pages.

It makes updating the games a lot more user friendly. Taking this idea and incorporating it into the site would be more than welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod,

Does this mean you only update 'games played' for those games you consider favourites? If so, that's your decision to make, but I think it's of more value to either record all games or none. The statistics derived can't anyway be considered very meaningful, but it's interesting to see the analysis done by people such as Jeremy Avery (http://www.geocities.com/yahugaming/xtop25.html), and in some ways this says more about the games we play than the BGG ratings. Such analysis stays valid for a smaller sample size, but it is less so if the data is skewed by the preferences of the people recording the data. So my request is: please log all your games played!

(A note to statisticians: Jeff Widderich has recorded only one play, in Dec. 2003, this being of his game Mouse Chaos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycho wrote:
zombiegod,

Does this mean you only update 'games played' for those games you consider favourites?

Nope, I record every game I play.

Tycho wrote:
I think it's of more value to either record all games or none.

that's why it would be a good idea if every game I had, or currently played could be placed somewhere on the site to be easily navigated to at the click of a button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

it would be a good idea if every game I had, or currently played could be placed somewhere on the site to be easily navigated to at the click of a button.

Sorry to have misunderstood you. Such a feature wouldn't be of much use to me since I see a lot of different games infrequently (something like 50% this year have been first-time plays), whereas I can see from your profile you see a few games a lot.

Perhaps your own Collection page would provide what you want, were you to maintain ratings/comments against the the games you play-but-don't-own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce V
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
I'm surprised I have GG to throw around on frivolous stuff like this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't these just be your top rated games ?? Go to your profile and then look at your rating distribution.... look at the 9's and 10's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not neccesarily. I don't just play games with a 9-10 rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just make a private journal entry...

Favorite games:
Tikal --> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/54

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I know what you mean: there are games that I call "games of the moment" or "hot games" that not necessarily have the highest rating. For that purpose I made some html adjustments to my profile page to access them more easily.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/rollotommasi

I found it's quite useful and since it's in my own profile page it doesn't
waste public space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

And other people can get more information as well. Particularly with the PBEM stuff.

I only listed broad categories of games that I like. Hot links would be great, although it might be troublesome if you like a lot of games.

Another approach I can think of is a private Geeklist, since that won't waste public space either, and you can annotate and sort it in a few ways. You could combine both approaches and keep games you play a lot in your profile, and games that you play less often in a geek list (or more) that you link to in your profile.

It would be nice to be able to enter in "number of games played" when you enter a session report for a particular game, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

I certainly don't play just 9's and 10's, but those are my favorites, hence the 9's and 10's...

d10-1d10-0d10-1d10-0d10-1d10-0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
Hot links would be great, although it might be troublesome if you like a lot of games.

That's right, in fact I limited myself to 5 entries in Hot games and 5 in PBEM section, I think it's a reasonable amount. (Probably up to 10 each can be reasonable too).

Quote:
Another approach I can think of is a private Geeklist, since that won't waste public space either

That's what I had in mind when I made those modifications to my profile page!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce V
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
I'm surprised I have GG to throw around on frivolous stuff like this.
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

Well there's your problem... quit playing sucky games.

Kidding. Kiddddd-ing. I see what you're saying... the journal entry suggestion sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
What if there were a way to apply private, personal tags to games? I'm thinking of something along the lines of the labels that Gmail lets one apply to e-mail messages. That way, when you want to view a list of your favorite games (to have them easily accessible as links), you could just do a personal tag search for the "favorite" tag.

Personally, I would use such a labeling feature to categorize games in my collection. Of course, an advanced search could help me find games playable by two players (suppose someone is asking for suggestions or I'm deciding what to take with me on a weekend vacation) in under 45 minutes, but more subjective labels might include "family," "brain burner," and "expansion." It would also be (slightly) easier to choose my "colovini" label from a dropdown of my 20 labels than to search for Leo using the Select Designer button. Plus, just because the publisher says "2-6 players" on the Alhambra box does not mean I can't choose to apply only the "2," "3," and "4" labels to it for my own purposes. But most importantly, you'd be able to search (when you want to) on that distinct set of games which you define by labeling them - not the whole database, not just your collection, but all the games that have interested you enough to bother labeling.

The whole Wish List functionality could be integrated by making "wishlist" and "desire=1," etc. labels standard, in addition to "want," "for trade," and the subjective cash value ("$24" or "$20-25") I keep mentioning every so often to improve the Trade Finder (it could highlight "likely" trades by comparing values (and countries!); also, such private values could be aggregated into a single public "estimated value," to be displayed on the game's main page). The advantage would be putting complete customization in the hands of the user. The main disadvantage is probably some redundancy of data (with the exception of the standard labels), although that could be minimized, though not eliminated, with some intelligent coding.

I'm really bored. Does it show?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.