John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Have a look at other GMT games. You will find a lot of them to be similar prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They had to include quite a bit of awesome in the box, and that is clearly a rare commodity these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
So why is this? Limited print runs, incredible games, hardcore followers?

Small print run, quality components.

As to value for the money, time will tell. This is an involved game(almost Die Macher level in terms of interaction of decisions and gamelength). If length and complexity are in your wheelhouse, you will like this game a lot.

-Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shields
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
So why is this? Limited print runs, incredible games, hardcore followers?

Lee - you live in Sweden. You have Noomi Rapace (Lisbeth) and no war and 500 year old flats and long summer days. You can't have it all. Aiii you live in paradise. Consider the import cost as simply one of those mysterious universal equity issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, the same could said for Martin Wallace games, especially over on this side of the pond. For the most part they're almost double the price of other games with similar components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't seem remember this many people complaining about Splotter Spellen games being high priced for what you get. Maybe I just missed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
I don't seem remember this many people complaining about Splotter Spellen games being high priced for what you get. Maybe I just missed it

I´m not wondering about the price, as I guess it comes from a small print run, but I know that Roads & Boats has 1259 pieces, how does it compare to DS? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure exactly, but I used to own R&B and it doesn't seem like it had a ton more than DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
That flash-frozen DNA so you can actually experiment in your home lab on designing a Dominant Species doesn't come cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
you can only buy alcohol from the state run shops which dont open AT ALL on Sunday, and close in the afternoon on saturday and in the evenings in the week.

Sounds like Utah where every trip across the border involves a massive beer purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, a game is more than the components. A game takes significant time to design and playtest.

Players forget that all of the work that actually went into the design of the game took time.. many times more more time than it took to create the art and the components!

Just like you wouldn't say - "This piece of art isn't worth that much... after all, it's just paint and canvas."

or

"The ink used on in this book is just like the ink in any other book - why is it so much?"

.. I'll encourage you to think about games as art, requiring significant time in creation and design.

Too many people forget there is more to a game than just what you can touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olson
Australia
Darlington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strange thing is, this game is NOT expensive in Australia (we are used to expensive games).

Maybe I should buy now before the retailer figures out what it's going for in the rest of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter how a good a game is I would be dissatisfied if the component quality was very poor (e.g., board falls apart after second fold).

But assuming the components are of decent quality I agree with Scott that you are paying for the ideas and the experience of the game.

Other than cards (being perhaps a smidge less than ideal), I haven't heard any complaints about the componenet quality for this game.

I ordered the game (for about $50) based on reputation and the very well written rule book with a table of contents, copious examples and gloss text in a special background

Brian
Plus, it comes with 450 wooden bits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
"The ink used on in this book is just like the ink in any other book - why is it so much?"

That's a bad analogy since new books generally fall within similar price bands. If the latest John Grisham novel were listed at $50, you can bet quite a few people would be asking that exact question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:

This alone makes me wonder how anyone on this site would question the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Wene wrote:
N9IWP wrote:

I dunno:

UK Prices:

C&C Ancients - £41:99
Dominant Species - £54:99

The C&C box is significantly heavier, and yet is a tenner cheaper?

Howduzzatwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Mike Wene wrote:
N9IWP wrote:

I dunno:

UK Prices:

C&C Ancients - £41:99
Dominant Species - £54:99

The C&C box is significantly heavier, and yet is a tenner cheaper?

Howduzzatwork?

Maybe 75% as many pieces in C&C relates to 75% as much cost? Is that what you are asking?

My main point was that on this site it seems that most people get hung up on the $ per unit of weight or $ per piece cost of a game and use that as their sole driver when saying "why does it cost so much?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I suggest that GMT likely paid as much, if not more, for art for Dominant Species as Hans Im Gluck did to Michael Menzel for stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
BTW, the same could said for Martin Wallace games, especially over on this side of the pond. For the most part they're almost double the price of other games with similar components.

While here in ol' blighty, Martin's games are pretty good value. Could be an element of not having to pay shipping costs/import duties.

Beer is (relatively) cheap too (certainly compared to Sweden, though not with France), especially at supermarket loss-leader prices. We still don't have Noomi Rapace, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I suggest that GMT likely paid as much, if not more, for art for Dominant Species as Hans Im Gluck did to Michael Menzel for stone Age.

I'm not in any position to know, but I'm curious why you would say that. I would have suspected the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
curtc wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

I'm not in any position to know, but I'm curious why you would say that. I would have suspected the opposite.

Art costs often don't vary that much. Within a fairly narrow band they tend to be pretty constant across pieces, with the primary variance coming from the number of pieces. Dominant Species & Stone Age have similar numbers of pieces bearing (unique) art (actually, more for DS due to the cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Didn't Chad do the art too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
curtc wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Art costs often don't vary that much. Within a fairly narrow band they tend to be pretty constant across pieces, with the primary variance coming from the number of pieces. Dominant Species & Stone Age have similar numbers of pieces bearing (unique) art (actually, more for DS due to the cards).

How can you compare the cost of art like that?! That's like saying, "This game costs more because it has more pieces."

That's crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Who is getting hungup ? not me, I will be getting this game. I was only curious why most newer games that seem to have "glossier" production are coming in quite a bit cheaper. I didn't stop to count how many wood pieces are, I went off the image gallery where it looked quite "homebrew" no offense intended, its quite clean and almost abstract looking.

Sorry Lee. I did not mean for my comment to be directed at you, but rather a more general statement to the recent rash of people complaining of the lack of component "quality".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
out4blood wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
curtc wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

How can you compare the cost of art like that?! That's like saying, "This game costs more because it has more pieces."

That's crazy.

That's rather the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.