Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Promoting BEYOND MONOPOLY! York UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting this in my blog as it's more about my experiences trying to promote Beyond Monopoly!. For more on the club, look here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...
Our next session is this coming Saturday, 19th March.

Well I spent another Saturday trying to get my flyer up in shop windows. I have re-designed it to be more appealing, and more oviously about board games, and to cover the next 3 months. But I didn't get enough printed, so I only covered 2 main shopping streets in York well, Gillygate and Bootham. But I got the flyer up in a lot of good places, various cafes, bistros and coffee shops, a framing shop, another goth shop (I didn't know there were so many Goths in York), a luggage shop. Several places took it to "put up later" or "pass to the manager", so we shall see. Surprisingly, they let me stick one up in Threshers, a chain off-license.

I handed one in at BBC Radio York, so I might get a plug out of that. On the same vein, one of my group is a journalist and has got in touch with the York Evening Press, so that may get me a feature article.

One shop that declined to put the little A5 flyer up was...Games Workshop. Corporate policy, the manager apologised and said that they weren't even allowed to put something up for yesterday's Red Nose Day (a big charity telethon in the UK).

I still had some of the old flyer, so I carried on hitting more shops, even an odd one called XES, which turned out to be a... well an Xes shop. But they let me stick it where I wanted fnarr fnarr. So you'll be hard-pressed to walk down a York street and not see the flyer now!

Can you guess the other shop that hasn't put the flyer up? Yup, Travelling Man, the ONLY shop in York that actually sells german games still hasn't put it in the window. Gordon Bennett.shake

Anyway, I was getting tired, but plugged away, and I tried to enter a cafe/bar. But the door was locked and the couple inside opened up to talk to me. They were VERY interested and invited me in. It turns out that they're refurbishing the whole place as a bar/restaraunt and found the idea of german games very appealing. They showed me round and we talked about a variety of things. I can say no more, but I may have made an excellent connection. Beyond Monopoly! could be taking a significant step forward.

If you're in York next week, come along to Guppys at 17 Nunnery Lane. It's open 10.30am to 5.30pm, you'll be very welcome.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't make the 19th Jon, as I am already booked in at Eastbourne. But it would be good to get up for another meeting. In fact, if I can work it, I might be up at Easter for the model railway show - I will let you know re a meet.

Great efforts there. I can't believe Travelling Man, but then perhaps I can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
If only I could be there....I miss England, have only been through York on the train, very pretty town, wanna go back to London....sigh cry

games, go for a pint... sigh...

Ok, that's it, making me nostalgic, I'm going to have to block your posts from appearing from now on!

hope you have a great time on the day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.