Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralf Maisch
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it extremely difficult to get people to play complex games like TI3. I own this game and tried to find players since I pre-ordered it. I finally managed to invite 4 additional people for a 2 day gaming session. We started on Saturday 8:30 PM. I read out the rules related to game setup and we created the galaxy, the common play area and the 5 player areas. This took 1.5 hours. At 10:00 PM I started to read out the rules aloud. The players were getting more and more bored (and tired) snore and at 0:30 AM we interrupted to get some sleep. We managed to get through most of the rules (maybe 65%). We skipped the detailed explanation of the space battles and the invasion combat as well as the detailed unit descriptions. We plan to continue tomorrow. But I fear that the other players will not like the game. They looked extremely annoyed soblue during my rule explanations. If I ever want to play this game again, I probably have to find new players cry. This means, that I have to go through all of the rule explanations again.
What is going wrong here? Ok, it might be a problem, that English is not our native language, so the translation of the rules requires extra effort, but anyway...
Can anyone give me some hints how I can find new players or how to get my current players into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitchett
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How to get peopleto play TI3?
Hapexamendios (#452066),

I would suggest having them reading the rules off the internet ahead of time. Also instead of reading the rules, give the objective of the game, get playing and a little by little.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tillich
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hapexamendios (#452066),

looking at your real name, you might be coming from Germany - so do I. I too had problems with two players who were not so good at English, but these problems came from the text on the action cards mostly. If there is no other way, I think it would help to translate the cards into German. I wonder why noone has done this so far. shake

What you should not do is reading out the rules. That just takes far too long. For my group I prepared myself by reading the rules twice on my own and simulating two rounds of a game with 3 players. That always help in understanding the rules better and brings up some rule questions you can clarify before the actual game with your group.

For our first game I built the galaxy according to a suggestion from the FFG-Forum. I also chose races for each player and did all the setup. The explanation of the rules took me about an hour, and then we were ready to start. Sure, the first rounds took quite some time, and there were questions here and there, but as I knew the rules quite good, I could answer them quickly without having to look into the rules book.

My group enjoyed the game, and next saturday we will be playing our third game. All players from the first game are looking forward to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Maisch
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EiNSTEiN (#452303),

You're right, I'm from Germany.

We continued our TI3 session on sunday.
As soon as we started the real game, the players looked more and more interested. We played about 5 hours and managed to finish 3 rounds in that time. I feared that they want to abort the game and never play TI again, but i was wrong! We left the game as it was (I'm glad I set it up in the party room, so it can stay there as long as it takes to finish it). They want to continue the game in one or two weeks .

I'm glad that I don't need new players, because now, that everyone understood the rules, the game feels VERY GOOD!

I thank You all for your suggestions and hints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hapexamendios (#452823),

I'm glad they managed to hang with you. When we played our first game, we talked about what all the special systems did, what the various statistics were on the planets and explained that resources were the key to the game. Then we "built the galaxy" and then examined the results and talked about them a bit. It was obvious that some had better systems, etc.

Then we did it all over again, this time keeping the result.

Then I went over the various cards you could select and talked about what they did, primary and secondary. Then we executed a round of selecting the cards and then did the action phase, explaining each action as it was executed.

Then we put everything back in the homeworlds and did the strategy and action phase all over again.

After that I explained combat basics (very easy) and tossed in the various rules a turn before they were necessary. For example, I could see that we would have the first combat on the next round, I explained about the retreat restrictions, plantary invasions, landings, etc.

The idea was we would try everything once and then back out if people were confused. It kept things moving and after the third turn there wasn't a lot left to explain.

The trick to this is to have played out the game "solo" so you understand every detail. Then go back and read the rules to see what you made errors on during your solo game, and make a quick reference sheet for yourself. I also highly recommend printing the tech chart, turn sequence and strategy card summary here on the geek out, breaking them out as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Brauch
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

there are good translatens to german, you can find them here:

http://www.spielbar.com/html/index.php

in the Downloads/Spielhilfen section.

Have fun =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.