Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: March 11th, 2005

Game: Fair Means or Foul

Players: Alexander, Johnny, Stephane, Valdir (myself) and Yann

The boardgaming session that I had planned for my co-workers (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/sessionbygroup.php3?groupname=I...) didn’t materialize because one of them was sick today, so I cancelled it. However, I took the opportunity to take the day off from work to meet my other gaming group (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/sessionbygroup.php3?groupname=C...). These are students, so they can meet on a Friday afternoon to play board games...

When I got at the Games Club, Johnny was in the process of explaining Fair Means or Foul to Stephane and Alexander, so they just added a pawn to the board for me and continued the explanation.

We were in the first moves of the game when Yann showed up to join us for the afternoon of gaming, so we just restarted the whole thing to let him in.

In the first few rounds things were not completely clear (not to me at least) on what we should do and when, I often mixed the cards and misstepped, but after some going around I finally "got" it enough to not make obvious mistakes. However, strategy eluded me completely...

Johnny, being the one who knew the game more, got a comfortable lead in the first quarter or the circuit around the board and I was the last one to leave the home space... The others were somewhere in the middle.

Once in the game I was second to last, but that didn’t last long. Yann, who I had just surpassed, quickly got by me and never again was I ever close to the other players on the track.

A funny thing happened when Johnny and Stephane both arrived at the end of the track: none of them wanted to cross the line to finish the game, because in order to do that they would have to do an exhibition and as they were both tied in terms of their collections, they didn’t want to risk losing any cards to a thief because that would give the victory to the other one.

This weird deadlock between the two leaders allowed all other players to come closer to them. In the end it was Alexander who finally crossed the line to end the game. And who had the biggest collection? It was Alexander himself! He ended up winning the game. I don’t know the distribution of the places for the other ones, but I surely ended up dead last, far away from them.

Even though my performance was less than stellar, I really enjoyed the game. The theme is silly, but the idea of set collection is dear to me, so I really liked it. If I ever play it again I’ll try to boost my collection from the start...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.