Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lots of changes the last week or so. And with change comes upset and dissent. And also a bit of clubbing and backstabbing to boot.

It seems that there is a contingent on BGG who take board games so seriously that they would like to see many aspects of the freewheeling and fun nature of BGG be curtailed.

And then there are the anarchists who see oppression in every action that would allow an enjoyable level of random motion but keep the general direction on track.

Hopefully neither of these minorities will have any real effect on BGG. That would ruin this place.

FUN

I think gaming is fun. Fun to me means talking. Talking means one dusts off their communication skills, wit and intelligence. Cuts, barbs, rants, jocular insults, trash-talk, the whole gamut is what occurs when people who enjoy a fun activity get together.

Thinking back to about a year ago I recall reading Sisteray, MrCranky, Joe Gola, some English guy and maybe even Cornjob and some others. They wrote their views and expressed their bias in ways that made me laugh and also made me look at what they played. And also made me decide to finally join and give the two weirdos in Dallas a few measly bucks.

CLEAN

Clean is nice. For a bathroom and a kitchen. But clean makes me think of my 8th grade algebra teacher. She was so humorless and dry that she single-handedly stunted any aspirations I had towards actually learning math.

I'd hate BGG to be so clean that it's similar to her. Clean is fun when you've got a date or you're gonna get some with the missus. That means you washed behind your ears.

I don't like playing games with people as seriously clean as I suspect some here would like this site to be.

CHAOTIC

I can't play games easily in chaos. I just am weak that way I suppose. I can probably shoot your eye out at 300 yards while falling off the back of a truck into a live mine field after having been up for 3 days having had nothing to eat but maggots and nothing to drink but sweat. But chaos is not acceptable when I want to have fun.

And I think BGG would be ruined if A & D allowed it to grow uncontrolled. The "up the establishment" pissants would burn this place down in a week. The Clean Crowd would take at least 3 months to dry it up to a husk.

~ POLITICS ~ RELIGION ~ SEX ~ NATIONALITY ~ MONEY ~

If you don't have any of the above items, you suck. What are you doing here? Go get a life, loser.

But if you do, then they are a part of you and therefore a part of gaming and therefore a part of what makes games fun. Just by applying a small bit of judgement, these subjects can be enlightening, funny, eye-opening and some of the best reading, even in a Geek List, you'll ever have about games.

Overall I believe BGG is headed in the right direction. Just so long as the interaction and humor - yes, even the edgy humor - aren't squashed in the wake of some nitwit posting an uncalled for image or some opposite nitwit wimpering because his kid might see a nipple or drop of blood.

We all know what's tasteless. Both extremist factions just push their agenda to the limit.

Games are fun. But not without any gamers to play them against. It'd be nice to see more gamers join BGG, not less.

So considered yourselves warned when I post my next few Geek Lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. Bring it on, loser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said, DW. But do I smell something burning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Thanks for posting this up Tripp... I have something to say about this, but I can't get the words out right... plus I'm kinda nervous. we have our GeekSpeak with Reiner in about 1 hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

I can probably shoot your eye out at 300 yards while falling off the back of a truck into a live mine field after having been up for 3 days having had nothing to eat but maggots and nothing to drink but sweat

mmm...maggots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'd like to say thanks for saying this too Tripp. It's pretty much what I've wanted to say on the subject, just put much better than it would've come out if I'd said it...

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, live webcast!

I do regret saying that I regret journals being added. For a long time, they were fun, and geeklists were fun, and then... I'm not exactly sure what happened. It was the thing that happens when you reach critical mass... growing pains, to be sure.

I like to think of BGG as a community, not just a gaming resource.

Now I'm getting all touchy-feely.

By the way, did you ever get a chance to try out A Game of Thrones again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
What do you guys think about having the off topic forums be subscription only.

Basically you need to sign in and check a button in your profile to see this stuff on the front page?

I think this might cater to both parties nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Sounds good to me. Might actually achieve the elusive goal of making everybody happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would work well for pre-identified ot forums Aldie...I know I'd be subscribing and spending a fair bit of time reading them...but to be honest, I like the more political/etc. geeklists as well...I wouldn't want geeklists on 'games that make you gay' or even the American presidential geeklists to vanish....but I might be alone on that!

The difficult thing is that discussions morph...it might start pure on games, but how would you ever keep religion/politics/sex/life out of any forum discussion? Won't they pop up, especially if the discussion's any good?

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I think that if a thread/list/whatever turns political/etc. we can flag it as "controversial." If you want to see controversial stuff, fine.. you get to see it. If not, it's gone from your view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
DWTripp wrote:

~ POLITICS ~ RELIGION ~ SEX ~ NATIONALITY ~ MONEY ~

If you don't have any of the above items, you suck. What are you doing here? Go get a life, loser.

But if you do, then they are a part of you and therefore a part of gaming and therefore a part of what makes games fun. Just by applying a small bit of judgement, these subjects can be enlightening, funny, eye-opening and some of the best reading, even in a Geek List, you'll ever have about games.

That's funny. When I mentioned the metonymic relationship between such subjects and gaming, you tried to charge me three bucks!

A guy I once knew wrote that the difference between a true Geek and a "Poser" was his ability to get more 'het up about games than about politics, religion, sex, nationality or money. I wonder what he'd make of your suggestions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin makes a valid point, but I think people would adjust after a while. Not that there wouldn't be occasional slip-ups, but I think the people who like to start fires (or just warm their hands over the ones that others start) would be happy to have a place where they are welcome (and have a willing audience).
I think it would be a lot like when the grocery store opens another register: There would be some initial chaos, but people would figure out pretty quickly which line they want to be in.
The occasional mistakes would be easier to moderate, too--and there would be less complaining about "censorship"--because it would be in clear violation of an unambiguous policy.
Of course, that would leave the whole "how far is too far?" issue up in the air a bit (I assume there would still be moderation in the OT forums.) But at least those who weren't interested wouldn't have to see any of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Basically you need to sign in and check a button in your profile to see this stuff on the front page?

If you do so, you should probably also provide little indicator icons for on-topic/off-topic.

I think it's a good idea, actually. Especially with the idea of combining this with further filtering on "controversial" threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If something turns controversial, can you put a little flame icon in front of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

That sounds like a very good idea to me. I'm assuming, though, that the off-topic section wouldn't be entirely anything goes--there should still be moderation and thread locking when things get out of hand, even (or especially) for those threads marked controversial.

In fact, maybe a generalized version of this would work even better. In the preferences, you could have a list of the forums with checkboxes, and users could check all of the forums that they want to appear on their front page. That way, you could possibly separate out the Chit Chat from the Flame Zone (or whatever the controversial section ends up being called).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes Chit-Chat or BGGBlogs *is* the flame zone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
Sometimes Chit-Chat or BGGBlogs *is* the flame zone...

True... But if there were a specific flame zone, the problematic threads could be moved there, leaving Chit-Chat for chit-chat and BGGBlogs for Blogs. And that is not to say that really out-of-hand threads in the flame zone shouldn't be locked, just that spicy but still reasonable threads could be moved there. Or maybe that is too much distinction without difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
But if there were a specific flame zone, the problematic threads could be moved there, leaving Chit-Chat for chit-chat and BGGBlogs for Blogs. And that is not to say that really out-of-hand threads in the flame zone shouldn't be locked, just that spicy but still reasonable threads could be moved there. Or maybe that is too much distinction without difference.

No, I see your point, and I think it's a good one.

Move & Lock. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
A guy I once knew wrote that the difference between a true Geek and a "Poser" was his ability to get more 'het up about games than about politics, religion, sex, nationality or money. I wonder what he'd make of your suggestions here.

A Tripp is like an onion Potter. Onions have layers... so does a Tripp. And I didn't try and charge you three bucks. I did charge you three bucks. You now owe me three bucks. I'll add you to the long list of people who owe me money I'll never get... which is mainly ex-wives, gamers who needed bail money and my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for fun. I don't really mind a bit of flaming, or arguing, or a controversial topic - some controversial topics even get handled remarkably well here.
But is it really neccessary to overhaul the site just so people can post nudity or gore? If that's what you want, aren't there tons of other sites you can go to for that? This is supposed to be a site about games. Can't it just stay that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

But is it really neccessary to overhaul the site just so people can post nudity or gore?

That's not the aim of the changes here at all. I'm sure Aldie or someone else will say more about this. I'm tired of saying "Don't overreact."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sorry if this is a little blunt, I hope it's polite and all...

Ok, I trust that what Aldie and Derk come up with will end up working out fine in the end, regardless of any little hiccups, but isn't this whole conversation ignoring something important in what Tripp said:

"~ POLITICS ~ RELIGION ~ SEX ~ NATIONALITY ~ MONEY ~

But if you do, then they are a part of you and therefore a part of gaming and therefore a part of what makes games fun. Just by applying a small bit of judgement, these subjects can be enlightening, funny, eye-opening and some of the best reading, even in a Geek List, you'll ever have about games. "

Sure, some people want pretend it's possible to just talk pure games and act like the rest of the world doesn't exist, which I guess they have every right to do, but should everyone else have to bend over backwards to enable that by hiding anything that might make anyone a little uncomfortable? To be honest, people who want to hide from the world make me feel ill, but I'd never say their discussions should be hidden away in some secret place just to save me from gagging...I've never understood why people don't just ignore the conversations that don't interest them, rather than insist they go away....sigh.

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
I'm all for fun. I don't really mind a bit of flaming, or arguing, or a controversial topic - some controversial topics even get handled remarkably well here.
But is it really neccessary to overhaul the site just so people can post nudity or gore? If that's what you want, aren't there tons of other sites you can go to for that? This is supposed to be a site about games. Can't it just stay that way?

Nobody's talking about nudity or gore here...Isn't the 'overhauling' of the site being done so that people who don't want to see/read anything that makes them uncomfortable can avoid even the titles of threads they wouldn't like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

But is it really neccessary to overhaul the site just so people can post nudity or gore?

That's not the aim of the changes here at all. I'm sure Aldie or someone else will say more about this. I'm tired of saying "Don't overreact."

Um, I wasn't overreacting to the changes here - I was commenting on the suggestions in this thread of people who seem to want the site modified to have limited access sections. Since I have never heard about people having problems with controversial topics until some recent postings - featuring, to whit, nudity and gore, I kind of am inclined to think that's what they want.

Robin - Ignoring the conversations that don't interest you is fine. However, the format of BGG means that you don't always have the option to just ignore. You can be reading along in something entirely unconnected, that DOES interest, and get "smacked in the face" with something totally unconnected and offensive to you that you WOULD have avoided...if you'd had the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.