Subject: like puerto rico? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have puerto rico and dont really like it. It is too complicated. Would i like san juan? ALso, if i buy san juan, i am VERY worried that they are too much alike and that i would have wasted money on puerto rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:like puerto rico?
oboman2002 (#452522),

There are any number of articles and reviews that address this topic. It would probably be easiest to read them first and then ask any questions that they don't address.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Octavian (#452531),
o ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#452796),

I think it's a reasonable question for a forum.

All I will say is that I recently got San Juan and my wife, who is not a serious gamer, much prefers it to its big brother.

There is less to it, but it is faster, has much faster setup and is designed for 2-4 with no special rules.

It has the fundamental tension of Puerto Rico, namely choosing roles to benefit yourself more than other players and has the same theme and interaction.

To me, you sound like the sort of person this was designed for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#452522),

You should try San Juan. It's much quicker and cleaner than Puerto Rico (though it doesn't have the same depth of decision making.) It plays well for 2 players, which is a big plus. Also, if you learn San Juan, it will make it easier for you to work your way up to Puerto Rico later, should you desire to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#452522),

I second what Paul and Eric have said. I myself prefer to play SJ, which I find to be more fun than its big brother for the time it takes. However, I'm not convinced that PR is a great deal more complex, but certainly it has a much steeper learning curve, and is not forgiving if you are the inexperienced player in a game with experts. SJ is much easier to learn in small steps.

SJ also has the benefits that it is very portable, can be played by the quite young and non-gamers, and is not expensive. You might well find you could sell your copy of PR on eBay for more than the cost of SJ new. If we were in the same country, I'd be happy to trade with you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Tycho (#452998),
hmm i may buy this since its easy to teach and also i hate the setup of PR .. this game may be made for me..its just that...i dunno what to do with my pr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
oboman2002 (#453253),

I'm sure PR will make great trade bait.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tettamanti
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#453256),
You can try the sanjuan.zip computer game to see if you like it. It is posted here in the file section of SanJuan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.