Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, our group welcomed two new members, Jason and his fiance, Denise. Jason and I met when he came over on a sales call to sell us some new doors for our house (another remodeling project!). When we went downstairs to the gameroom to discuss the project, he was shocked to see the three bookcases full of games! As it turns out, he is gamer (primarily wargames, like me) and ex-military (again, like me) but had not had anyone to play games with for years - his games are all in storage!

Well, yesterday, Jason, Denise, Kim (my wife) and I sat down to play a game! For the sake of finding a suitable four player game, we all chose Lord of the Rings Risk (Trilogy Edition). It was a lot of fun and we all had a great time (I will be posting a session report later). However, we also laid the groundwork for our gaming for the rest of 2005.

While we will still play some four player games, the plan right now is for Jason and I to return to the old battlegrounds, namely some of the classic Avalon Hill games that have been sitting on the shelf begging to be played. On tap for the rest of the year: Fortress Europa, Russian Campaign, and Breakout Normandy. The plan is to copy rules up front to study ahead of time, then play each one at least two or three times this year. I really want to explore and rediscover some of these games in greater depth, and you can't do that if you just play it once and move on. I'm really looking forward to it, as I have been itching to get back to the counters for awhile now (hey, I really like Memoir '44 and Axis and Allies, but sometimes, you just need something meatier!). Looking forward to some intense wargaming this year! 56

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on finding a kindred gaming spirit! Most of my current gaming buds are either long time friends from high school and college, or folks I've found online through gaming networks like BGG here -- but there are still a few of them I've met through quirk of fate and circumstance, not unlike your anecdote.

Good luck with the wargaming, and keep us informed of your progress with some session reports!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.