Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Forbidden Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engineer and shoring up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask this question, just so that I have another opinion besides my own when next I play this game with a certain group of friends.

To shore up a tile, it needs to be the tile you are on, or an adjacent one (orthogonal, not diagonal - unless you are the Explorer).

The Engineer may "shore up two tiles for one action".

I take this to mean that, while it only costs one action, the tiles still need to be adjacent, or the tile he/she is on. In other words, these rules are still applicable. After all, it does not say "any two tiles".

The group I played with argued that he could shore up two tiles in a straight "line". That is, one adjacent tile plus the one next in line, adjacent to that adjacent tile. So, shoring up a tile that has a tile between it and the tile he/she is standing on.

They argued that the rules don't specifically state that the tiles need to be adjacent. I tried to reason along the lines of "if you do that, you might as well shore up tiles anywhere, as with a sandbag", but they felt that their interpretation made sense. They further argue that, if the Engineer could only shore up tiles that were adjacent, he wouldn't be very useful. Huh? Two for the cost of one is still useful!

Am I wrong about this? Does the Engineer not have to respect the general rules for shoring up?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He needs to follow the rules, so the two tiles must be adjacent, or the same tile in which the Engineer is.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct - all rules apply unless specifically overridden by the card. So the tiles the Engineer shores up must be orthagonally adjacent plus the one he's standing on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if there is one tile to the left and right of the pawn or up and down from the pawn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zugli wrote:
What if there is one tile to the left and right of the pawn or up and down from the pawn.

There are 5 possible tiles to be shored (One up, one down, one left, one right and the tile under the pawn). You can shore any two of those.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my two cents, whenever the word "adjacent" is mentioned with regards to shoring, it should be inferred that it's adjacent to the tile the pawn is located on, not necessarily adjacent to each other.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Collins
United Kingdom
SIDMOUTH
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
copax wrote:
it should be inferred that it's adjacent to the tile the pawn is located on, not necessarily adjacent to each other.

Agreed.

Thematically, I see it as the engineer being able to work twice as fast, rather than having twice the reach, as other players as regards shoring up.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OH SNAP!!! Been playing that character wrong. We were shoring up tiles anywhere on the board. It was still a pretty tough game though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I appreciate your taking the time.

I thought I had this one right. I am not so sure about the diver though. It reads as though he can go as far as he wants over flooded and/or missing (sunk) tiles for one action. Simple enough. For some reason though, we played it that he had to swim in a straight line each time (per action), no turning. Now that I read it again, it seems he can move anywhere (but not diagonally) while swimming over flooded/sunken tiles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I appreciate your taking the time.

I thought I had this one right. I am not so sure about the diver though. It reads as though he can go as far as he wants over flooded and/or missing (sunk) tiles for one action. Simple enough. For some reason though, we played it that he had to swim in a straight line each time (per action), no turning. Now that I read it again, it seems he can move anywhere (but not diagonally) while swimming over flooded/sunken tiles.

Diver does not have to keep in a straight line.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Litwiller
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To shore up a tile, it needs to be the tile you are on, or an adjacent one (orthogonal, not diagonal - unless you are the Explorer).

The Engineer may "shore up two tiles for one action".

This may have already been answered somewhere but...

Can the Engineer's two Shore Up actions (for 1 action point) be split up between movements? I know you must still Shore Up tiles adjacent to or the tile the player is on, but can the Engineer do a turn such as:

Shore up-->Move-->Move-->Shore Up?

As long as the above conditions are satisfied I cannot tell whether this is violating the rules. Any help?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No, the engineer can't split the Shore Up action into two parts by taking other actions in between flipping tiles.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Moros
South Korea
Gwangju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

So the ability is can shore up 2 for the price of 1, if done at the same time. right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Velasquez
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
OH SNAP!!! Been playing that character wrong. We were shoring up tiles anywhere on the board. It was still a pretty tough game though.

Yeah, me too. D'oh!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls